No ODBII on 95 GT? bummer

maillemaker

Reaction score
I saw that my car had a ODBII port, so I went and bought an OBDII scanner. Plugged it in. I can read battery voltage from it. :) Couldn't read any other data.

Now I have learned that the 5.0 '95 uses ODB1. :(

I have an ODB1 reader from my 1990 Ford E350 RV work. But was looking forward to sweet realtime data from the engine.

Steve

shovel

Reaction score
Very few cars before 1996 had fully supported OBD2

OP
OP
M

maillemaker

Reaction score

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
My 94, when it was a v6, was OBDII, as mentioned. It was irritating because all the auto part stores would often tell me they couldn’t read it, even though I would tell them that they always had before, and would tell them it was OBDII.

The plus side is that if you have a state that requires reading the computer as part of the inspection process, you get exempt because it was older than 96. It was fun because my state used to have separate inspection stickers, so for a while I would drive around with a red sticker while everyone else had green (or none at all because cars 24 years or older was exempt from emissions). It was a weird sight, and made me feel special.

Anyway, v8, there’s a connector that you can disconnect and it will flash the codes at you, no tools required. I have a switch set up on my car to turn it on and off whenever I want to read it. Basically, when disconnected, you turn the car on (not start) and it will rapidly flash the “check engine” light until blinking sequences that will actually make sense to you. 511 511 1 1 and then the real codes. Have the AC turned off, or it will give you a code for that, letting you know that it’s on, because, I don’t know.

OP
OP
M

maillemaker

Reaction score
Yeah, I've got a 1990 RV based on a Ford E350 van. 460 engine. I've done ODB1 flash codes a lot. :) Much easier with a reader (which I have). But I did not know you could get live data out of the ODB1 port.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online