No Oil Flow to Cylinder Heads

Ponyrider

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just finished a Heads and Intake upgrade on my 5.0 Windsor and after priming the engine, I could not see any oil flow. Pump was primed for close to a minute. I'm planning on replacing the oil sending unit with a oil pressure gauge to see what the pressure is. Question is: what should the oil pressure be? I'm guessing it should be around 15 - 25 lbs when priming and 40 - 60 lbs with the engine running.
For the no oil flow condition to the heads, how long should I prime the engine to see if there is any oil flow. Running Manley pushrods, PRW stud roller Rockers with Flo Tek heads. Lifters are stock hydraulic rollers.
Appreciate the help.

OP
OP
Ponyrider

Ponyrider

Reaction score
are you going clockwise or counter? Did you try it both ways?
Hey ttocs, I went counter-clockwise. I'm going to try again - let the drill spin for 5 min or so to see if I get any oil. Passenger valve cover is removed.

OP
OP
Ponyrider

Ponyrider

Reaction score
Another question guys: how easy should the pump shaft spin?

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It will spin easy until the pump primes, then it will get hard to hold the drill. I used to use a remote starter switch at the same time to prime and turn the engine at the same time, with the spark plugs out.. should turn easy. I would spin Mopar engines for 30 min. total before starting them just like Smokey said. This would be how the NASCAR teams could just drop in a "new" engine and go run them hard in the early days.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online