no pi cams for me

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
my installer told me that its not a good idea to put pi cams on npi heads becuase the lift is too high especially on my engine with 90k on it cause the springs are worn...basically he wouldnt install them...so I guess Im gonna go with a 75mm tb and plenum to try and gain some power somewhere else :mad:

Thomas_W

Reaction score
LOL.. it amazes me how these self proclaimed "installers" have no clue WTF they are talking about when it comes to modular ford motors.

I put a set of PI cams in a car last year w/ 145k miles on it. stock NPI springs. 40k miles later and god knows how many 1/4 and 1/8 mile pass's its still running as good as the day we put them in.

Just put the things in, and be done with it!

OP
OP
J

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
well the installer called some dude who worked for ford or something and was working on building a npi motor and told him that its possible but could run into problems in the future...odviously people do it and it works...but you never know..it could cause problems....

I was bummed...but he didnt want to install them and have a problem on his shoulders...shit

but on a positive note..I used 200 of that money to buy a 75mm Tb and C and L plenum...200 at rpmoutlet..what a deal

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
yeah i would reconsider taking your car there if hes telling you something like that. seriously.

OP
OP
J

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
so thats not true at all?...he said the lift on the pi cam went to .530 and the aftermarket nonpis only go to .500 ...and the springs are only meant to handle the .5 lift?...is this all bs?...

he was gonna charge only 180 to install the cams...maybe he was just trying to lure me into paying him to install my pi intake...the main reason i was doing it was becuase of the deal on the pi cams and install i was getting...o well...

Thomas_W

Reaction score
i'm pretty sure the NPI and the PI valve springs have the same spring rates..

the reason why aftermarket non pi's only go to .500 is b/c if you get into too much lift you have to machine out some of the material between the cam towers for the cam lobes to clear. the PI cams are just big and small enough to be installed w/o having to do that.

LI98GT

Reaction score
10k miles on my PI cams with stock NPI springs and they seem to be doing OK. These are numbers I was able to find...

The stock camshaft lift for NPI PI cams in 96-98's are... .473/.473-inch lift
99-01's are... .505 Intake/.534 exhaust-inch lift

W

Wes8398

I'm glad I read this post, because I've been under the impression for a long time now that the lift on a PI cam was the same as an NPI cam. I thought I remembered being told that it was just the duration that was different. BUT I just did some searching and learned otherwise. From a post over on the TCCoA forum:
PI Cams: .510"in / .530"ex / 201 dur. in / 210 dur. ex 113.5 lsa
NPI Cams: .471"in / .471"ex / 190 dur. 113.5 lsa
So many people have done this swap man, I think you can rest assured that the cams will be a direct swap without modifcation required.
I've had my PI intake and cams sitting in my closet waiting to be installed for like 3/4's of the time I've owned my car! lol I can't wait to get the stuff installed, but I'm not confident enough to do it on my own. A fellow member from another forum has offered to have me go to his place and he'll do the swap for me (with my assistance, of course) free of charge, so that's absolutely awesome. Just gotta wait 'till our schedules allow us to get together for a day and get 'er done. :D Might be a little while, so I'm CONSIDERING doing the intake on my own because mine's cracked and leaking a bit of coolant. Kinda scared to do it since there's so much shit attached to it though. lol We'll see. (brings me to a question...if it's cracked and slowly leaking coolant, does that mean it's likely leaking air as well and affecting performance?)

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
its not your actual intake passages that are cracked, it the coolant crossover that is cracked...so no, it doesn't affect performance from loss of air, but the car may overheat from lack of coolant.

97gtconv.

Reaction score
get away from that so-called technition. bad info there. i have a buddy that has 30k on his pi cams with npi heads and he has no problems. and the guy the tech asked doesn't know squat.

ripper

Reaction score
Factory P.I. cylinder heads 44cc chamber Factory P.I. camshafts 192/184 duration @.050 .535/.505 lift

This info is right off my motors spec sheet. Motor was built by ProMar Racing Engines in Paterson NJ

W

Wes8398

Stevo said:
Factory P.I. cylinder heads 44cc chamber Factory P.I. camshafts 192/184 duration @.050 .535/.505 lift

This info is right off my motors spec sheet. Motor was built by ProMar Racing Engines in Paterson NJ
Wonder how/where people are getting all these different numbers....? Are there different "PI" cams or something?

ripper

Reaction score
LOL I was thinking the same thing. Im positive thats whats in my car. I took it right of my spec sheet :dunno:

Im sure if they werent factory i woulda got charged for them

W

Wes8398

I believe the numbers I posted above were taken from a thread by Johnny Langton (or something like that). I rememer reading a LOT of his write-ups when I was researching the PI swap thing. From what I can tell, he's a pretty reliable source. But who knows. I guess all that matters is that a lot of people have PI cams in NPI heads, and don't have any problems with it. :drunk:

ripper

Reaction score
Yea thats the real topic here. Im positive ive seen more than 1 thread were guys are using pi cams in nonpi heads.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
There are probably thousands using PI cams in NPI heads...they are an easy direct swap with no other changes needed except new cam gear bolts.

This has been a popular mod for over 5 years now. The problem with most mechanics is they are tought from a book and thats all they know....they can replace broken parts with new ones but you have to actually find a mechanic who is into after market and budget building of specific cars to get good info on things like this. If a mechanic is not experienced with modulars then move on to the next.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online