No power to radiator fan and dont know why.

Res13

Reaction score
hello, im pretty new to the forums. I have a 2004 mustang 3.8 v6 with 175k, i do all my own upkeep on it (from changing oil to 3 day projects) but this one is stumping me. My girlfriend was driving the car in the insane pa summer heat (96°) and it overheated and coolant overflowed. i let it set there till it cooled outside and limped it home, checked a few things and sure enough the fan isnt getting power. ive tested all fuses (all good), ive replaced the ccrm within the last month, ive replaced the pcm in the last month, the easy access wires look good (car isnt beat up and is almost rust free) im stumped and hopefully someone has an answer.
Thanks

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Make sure the grounds on the temp sensor(s) are not corroded, which is usually just the threads of the sensor itself. Hook up a scan tool (either rent one or buy a cheapo one at the auto store) and see if the OBD2 can even read the real-time temp of the engine. If no temp reading exists or it's clearly innacurate, time for a new temp sensor (they're cheap). IDK if it's the same across all models for the SN95 years, but my 96 Cobra for example has two temp sensors: one for the gauge and one for the ECU. Ford like to put em into the coolant crossover tube at front-center of the engine. But they attain their grounds via their own threads into that pipe and they are known to corrode over the years especially with coolant just on the other side of those threads. I'd also check the main ground strap going from engine to frame, those corrode very easily and essentially cause all kinds of problems.

Thyme

Reaction score
I had an issue on my '97 GT where the radiator fan and AC didn't work. Previous owner replaced the CCRM and checked the wiring but couldn't figure it out. Turns out a wire had backed out of the connector to the CCRM just a bit. Go ahead and press the wires in firmly and see if that fixes your problem. If all else fails, you can always wire up a switch and put it in the cab until you figure it out.

OP
OP
R

Res13

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas everyone. when i get a chance ill be looking at temp censor and grounds...also will be checking pins on ccrm to make sure its working properly. really bysy lately so when i do end up checking all of ut ill update yall.
thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online