No radio. Installed battery backwards oops

PikesPeakPony

Reaction score
No paying attention I installed my battery backwards and the relay box immediately started smoking. After quickly disconnecting I started my car and all was good. Runs great all lights interior and exterior work seems like no damage was done that inhibits my cars funtion. But I did notice my stereo would not fire up(as it does on startup) I have an awesome alpine deck. I checked for blown fuses and found one under the hood and replaced it still not working, checked all under the dash all seems good. But replaced the radio fuse for good measure. IM FLIPPING LOSING MY MIND. I pulled the deck to see if there was a fuse behind that. None whatsoever. WTF. Any ideas?

Witzy0070

Reaction score
Doubt it will help, but what stereo? I suppose it's plausible you cooked the actual head unit.

OP
OP
PikesPeakPony

PikesPeakPony

Reaction score
Dude that was not what I wanted here lol it's an alpine Bluetooth all the bells and whistles awesome model I can't remeber the exact model. I love that thing.

Witzy0070

Reaction score
If it's new it should have a fuse on the ass end where the heat sinks are. I'd be really surprised if there wasn't. If you can a model number it could potentially help. Or you can wait until ttocs shows up and solves this for you.

OP
OP
PikesPeakPony

PikesPeakPony

Reaction score
It's an alpine CDE133BT. Not top of the line but hey it has all I need

Witzy0070

Reaction score
The Alpine CDE133BT has a fuse on the rear in the picture (I circled it in red)

productpic_CDE133BT_09_zps8t4y8wh1.jpg

Check that fuse.

OP
OP
PikesPeakPony

PikesPeakPony

Reaction score
The Alpine CDE133BT has a fuse on the rear in the picture (I circled it in red)

productpic_CDE133BT_09_zps8t4y8wh1.jpg

Check that fuse.

found it! It was one of the small fuses. The wire inside was broken apart. So I cut the fuse open and made them touch again. Stereo is back on. Hell yes!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yea I would not leave that fuse in as it might not be working correctly now and could allow more current through.

I have to laugh a little as when I was working at intel I watched two of our areas lead techs hook up a car to jump it with the cables backwards. One guy was a former navy nuke tech and the other was a roughneck so they were not idiots but just thought the sparks they were getting while trying to hook up the 2nd terminal were normal. I kept telling them that something was wrong but the nuke tech literally just slapped it on, with one big final spark and said to hit it. The car didn't start but the cables started smoking and he was able to take it off just before the insulation started to melt. It can happen to anyone so I have been extra careful since.

Mustanger

Reaction score
I saw an experienced 30 year electrician servicing the batteries in one of our electric carts ...Carts were 48 volts DC...with the 12 volt batteries wired in Series / Parallel to increase the voltage & capacity....The last connection he made was a direct short positive to negative!! The explosion was deafening! The wire melted in his hand! leaving a bad burn & he could not see for 10 minutes. Batteries are no joke & have hundreds of amps capacity each.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
batteries are not something to not be aware of. I have heard these stories and seen a couple of instances that always made me take care of what I was connecting where.

OP
OP
PikesPeakPony

PikesPeakPony

Reaction score
batteries are not something to not be aware of. I have heard these stories and seen a couple of instances that always made me take care of what I was connecting where.

The real story here is that my mustang has been parked for almost a year because the clutch is out and we have another car in the garage waiting to get fixed before I can roll mine in. It will still drive if im light on the pedal. I lent my battery to friend for his 86 fox and he crashed it the next day and couldnt get it from the impound lot. so after I got so eager i went to my dads riding lawn mower and pulled the mini little 12v from that and threw it in. only issue is this battery was so tiny i didnt pay attention to which way I had it and poooof my relay started smoking. switched it around and vrooooooom to the stang for a walk. with a lawn mower battery in it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online