No Speedo,Trip Odo & Cruise Control!?

Larry Chip

Reaction score
Hi I’m new to the form I have a 1994 Mustang GT the trip odometer speedometer and cruise control are all NOT working, I replaced the vehicle speed sensor and the plastic gear on the end of it because it looked pretty chewed up and still nothing I’ve been searching the web and a lot of places said that the gear behind speedometer could be the problem but it wouldn’t make the cruise control and speedometer not work only the trip odometer any and all help with work please let me know

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I was hoping someone had a better answer than mine as I am not sure how it could effect the problem at hand. but I would start simple by checking all your fuses.

amf201091

Reaction score
I'd use a multi-meter and check every fuse real quick.

As for the cruise control. Could be linked to your clutch pedal. Try reaching underneath and grabbing the clutch pedal and pull the pedal towards you. I've read there's a sensor where the clutch pedal is and when you replace your clutch or it needs adjusted, it could impact your cruise control. So pulling on it (adjusting it) might fix your cruise control problem.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Very late reply, but just saw thread and have similar problem. My speedometer, odometer and cruise control aren’t working. A guy I know who is knowledgeable and has remedied same problem with the plastic gears behind the speedometer. $25 from LMR (+$5 shipping +tax), total of $31. Said it fixed it right up look up “odometer repair kit” in Interior then Dash Accessories.

mine should be here in a week. Check back with me (in case I forget to report back) to see if it solved the problem.

Last edited:

BHernandez

Reaction score
Sooooo, did it? Did it solve the problem? Because my Odometer/trip meter just stopped when I reset it after a fill up. The tach works erratically. The spedo seems to work fine and cruise control seems to work fine. I don't see the correlation between the two. Odometer in my 98 is mechanical and tach is electronic. Am I missing something here or is this just a weird coincidence?

from6to8

Reaction score
Sooooo, did it? Did it solve the problem? Because my Odometer/trip meter just stopped when I reset it after a fill up. The tach works erratically. The spedo seems to work fine and cruise control seems to work fine. I don't see the correlation between the two. Odometer in my 98 is mechanical and tach is electronic. Am I missing something here or is this just a weird coincidence?
i had an issue last year and sounded similiar and the last thing i did was replace the stepper motor with another one I had on another cluster and that fixed the issue. Now I'm having another issue that just started so and made a post here from another thread i found on google on this site. So yeah will check some stuff tommorow. I forgot I swapped out my cruise control on/off button but think I just cut the wires because my cruise has beeeeen disconneted anyway and I just wanted it cosmetically to have the button on and not missing.

from6to8

Reaction score
Check your VSS
i swapped in one from my other car that I took apart years ago but I need to check the resistance. Any idea what the resistance should be? I will check with key on I guess is the proper way

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Check the tracers and the two connectors on the back of the cluster. Some times the twin connections don't line up perfectly with the laminated tracers on the back of the cluster or maybe they just need a good contact cleaning. Happens sometimes.

1994 cluster pinout is bottom-right in the attachment.

Attachments

• Cluster Pinout.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 1

from6to8

Reaction score
Check your VSS
the first thing i need to check is the volts with KO at the vss connector plug. I'm seeing some say 5 volts and read something on google where it says 12 volts. Do you know what I should get? I tested and only got 1.44

badass98svt

Reaction score
the first thing i need to check is the volts with KO at the vss connector plug. I'm seeing some say 5 volts and read something on google where it says 12 volts. Do you know what I should get? I tested and only got 1.44

Honestly, I'm not sure. My VSS was physically broken. I had no speedo or odometer

from6to8

Reaction score
Check the tracers and the two connectors on the back of the cluster. Some times the twin connections don't line up perfectly with the laminated tracers on the back of the cluster or maybe they just need a good contact cleaning. Happens sometimes.

1994 cluster pinout is bottom-right in the attachment.
someone told me last night that he cleaned both the cluster pins and the connector pins with alcohol and a q tip so I tried that this morning being careful to not leave any lint from the q tip on and nothing. Check my previous reply as to what I got at the vss connector a second ago with Key on only. Also still perplexing as to why I'm not getting the warning symbols on the bottom of the cluster with key on; only the battery symbol. Also cleaned the PATs antitheft box cleaned the connections on it and the harness plug. But with that low of volts to the vss that could be a culprit to I'm thinking??

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
The VSS should only output when there's motion on the trans output shaft, I'm pretty sure. What you're measure is probably just leakage current, pretty insignificant.

from6to8

Reaction score
The VSS should only output when there's motion on the trans output shaft, I'm pretty sure. What you're measure is probably just leakage current, pretty insignificant.
yeah i just called odometer gears back as he was helping me and talked to Danny this time and he said really the only way to test get power there is to have the car up on a lift and have someone go forward with it for the trans to spin

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Be careful with that. When you lift the car you drastically change pinion angle on a SRA rear suspension. If you move wheels under power, don't give it any gas. Those u joints could take damage.

If you're gonna do it, be setup for it before hand and don't do it for more than a few seconds and in 1st gear.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if you are not getting the warning lights on the bottom with the key on start at the back of the gauge cluster/contacts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online