No SVO heads = trick flow plenum w/pics

LI98GT

Reaction score
Well, missed out on a set of SVO heads for a decent price, so I did the next best thing and purchased a tick flow plenum. OK, I know it's only a worth a few hp, but have to say that my first impression is that it goes well with the improved breathing of my NPI heads that have the PI cams and PI intake. I'll also have it when I eventually do get a set of heads. It's quite a bit higher than the stocker and it's a tough fit with the aftermarket TB tube. I'll have to revisit it to see if I can get it to fit better.

Snapped a few pics going in....FWIW, it's the powder coated silver version.

TrickflowPlenum002.jpg

TrickflowPlenum005.jpg

TrickflowPlenum007.jpg

OP
OP
L

LI98GT

Reaction score
Yes, but only for now. I do plan on getting a matching TB in 70 or 75mm size soon.

Pennywise2

Reaction score
Congrats on your new Trick Flow plenum! :thumb:
You should get yourself a 70mm or 75mm throttle body to match your
new plenum you will notice better throttle responce with one and
add more airflow too.
I wouldn't put out all the money for the SVO cylinder heads even if you
are getting a deal because their are other routes to take with the
PI cylinder heads that will outflow the SVO cylinder heads unported.
Good luck though..

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Pennywise2 said:
add more airflow too.
Good luck though..

Yea you can get an PI head to outflow the SVO heads that aren't ported. .but thats like me saying i can get a set of ported NPI head to outflow stock PI heads... anything is possible, but why spend $500 on stock PI heads then $1000+ on porting to barely outflow the SVO cylinder heads. Especially if your getting them for a GOOD deal.. say $1200. thats atleast $300 cheaper than ported PI heads, and you can still port the SVO heads and outflow the ported PI heads...

just doesn't make sense to me from a cost point of view. I know if i coulda got my heads on my ported SVO heads i have in storage, they would be on my current setup and i'd probly be making 100rwhp more than what i am right now on the same boost.

Pennywise2

Reaction score
Thomas_W said:
Pennywise2 said:
add more airflow too.
Good luck though..

Yea you can get an PI head to outflow the SVO heads that aren't ported. .but thats like me saying i can get a set of ported NPI head to outflow stock PI heads... anything is possible, but why spend $500 on stock PI heads then $1000+ on porting to barely outflow the SVO cylinder heads. Especially if your getting them for a GOOD deal.. say $1200. thats atleast $300 cheaper than ported PI heads, and you can still port the SVO heads and outflow the ported PI heads...

just doesn't make sense to me from a cost point of view. I know if i coulda got my heads on my ported SVO heads i have in storage, they would be on my current setup and i'd probly be making 100rwhp more than what i am right now on the same boost.
You have a point but,a ported and polished set of PI heads will in most cases that I have seen cost
you less than SVO heads ported or not.Don't get me wrong the SVO heads flow very well but,they will cost you
more in the end.If it were me I would call Scott at VT and enquire about their stage three ported heads.

9psi 98

Reaction score
LI98GT said:
Well, missed out on a set of SVO heads for a decent price, so I did the next best thing and purchased a tick flow plenum. OK, I know it's only a worth a few hp, but have to say that my first impression is that it goes well with the improved breathing of my NPI heads that have the PI cams and PI intake. I'll also have it when I eventually do get a set of heads. It's quite a bit higher than the stocker and it's a tough fit with the aftermarket TB tube. I'll have to revisit it to see if I can get it to fit better.

Snapped a few pics going in....FWIW, it's the powder coated silver version.
TrickflowPlenum007.jpg

Is that Atlantic Blue I see hiding behind there???....sorry, I'm a fan :dancing6: More pics!!

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Pennywise2 said:
Thomas_W said:
Pennywise2 said:
add more airflow too.
Good luck though..

You have a point but,a ported and polished set of PI heads will in most cases that I have seen cost
you less than SVO heads ported or not.Don't get me wrong the SVO heads flow very well but,they will cost you
more in the end.If it were me I would call Scott at VT and enquire about their stage three ported heads.

I agree. .but if your looking for the most HP out of a 2v Set of heads, then the P&P SVO heads are the only way to go. and i've seen 4 sets of SVO heads go for less than $1300 lately. And the fact that stock SVO heads outflow stage 1 P&P PI heads makes them worth the extra money IMO.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The SVO heads are the best we can get and when ported by the right people can flow @280cfm (race port) and that can't be done by a PI head even with a st3 race port but cost is always an issue... I was on the path to buying some SVO heads when i came across my VT st 2 PI's at a great price so i had to jump on them. If i was going to be building a all out power hungry car then i would have stuck with the goal of getting the SVO's and sending them to Jim at Renegade but this is just a street cruiser and cost won out.

Now if i ever build another 2V it will be a BigBore topped with SVO heads for sure.

OP
OP
L

LI98GT

Reaction score
9psi 98 said:
Is that Atlantic Blue I see hiding behind there???....sorry, I'm a fan :dancing6: More pics!!

Why yes it is (bright) atlantic blue. Thanks for asking. Here's a recent one taken at the track getting cooled down before the runs of the day. Man, you guys are making me feel even worse for missing out on those SVO heads. They sound like the real deal. Urrrgh.

IMG_0284Large.jpg

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
BAB's are a sexy color...

yes they are the real deal...anytime you can get them at a good price you should jump on them. I doubt an aftermarket company will come out with anything better and if one does it would probably be Trick Flow and they would most likely copy the SVO design.

voidfinger

Reaction score
well i hope Trick flow would make some heads for our cars b/c i would buy them if i had the money.

the only thing i don't like about the svo heads is that they use the npi ports and then that means that you can't use any good intakes unless you shit rig a pi intake to it. I hope that if trick flow does make them i hope they use the pi ports that will match up with that super sweet trick flow intake :)

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
voidfinger said:
well i hope Trick flow would make some heads for our cars b/c i would buy them if i had the money.

the only thing i don't like about the svo heads is that they use the npi ports and then that means that you can't use any good intakes unless you shit rig a pi intake to it. I hope that if trick flow does make them i hope they use the pi ports that will match up with that super sweet trick flow intake :)

The SVO Intake fits as does a Blower for NPI heads...KB on SVO heads = not bad combo...

also you can have the SVO heads port matched to work with a Bullit Intake etc...

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
MustangMatt96GT said:
do the SVO heads bump up the compression on our NPI motors like the PI do?

No they have a large combustion chamber like the NPI so compression stays the same.

MustangMatt96GT

Reaction score
Thanks man! Those SVO heads are the way to go if you are looking for large numbers!

voidfinger

Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
voidfinger said:

The SVO Intake fits as does a Blower for NPI heads...KB on SVO heads = not bad combo...

also you can have the SVO heads port matched to work with a Bullit Intake etc...

O i forgot about the kb

That is a good very good option....
I would say a bullit or pi and the matching b/c the svo intake is almost impossible to find.....i haven't found one yet :( but o well i'm not really looking.

So you can match the porting for the pi intake runner? that is a lot of port work

voidfinger

Reaction score
O one more question, i noticed on the middle pic that the iac hole is smaller on the trick flow one.....does that mean the rev. thing is fixed and it rev's down faster like a 5.0 or is it still painfully slow coming down?

OP
OP
L

LI98GT

Reaction score
voidfinger said:
O one more question, i noticed on the middle pic that the iac hole is smaller on the trick flow one.....does that mean the rev. thing is fixed and it rev's down faster like a 5.0 or is it still painfully slow coming down?

Unfortunately, still painful. I didn't reset the puter after changing, so I don't know if that would make any difference or not.

voidfinger

Reaction score
well i guess i'll have to stick with the plate then.....man i wish this thing would come down right....everyone laughes at how slow and retarted it sounds. :'(

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online