No VIN in ECU? 1996 V6

shovel

Reaction score
Looking for ideas/experiences..

I have a 2002 and a 1996 V6 Mustang (and a 1994 GT but that's not part of this particular situation)

Please read the whole thing before replying, I'm not asking for help with the tuner. My question is at the bottom.

Years ago I bought a Diablo i2 tuner for the 2002 to facilitate a speedometer correction with new diff gears. It works fine for that, never had a problem with it.

Since I already had the tuner hardware and Diablo/Holley sells additional licenses I decided, hey why not also get a license for my 1996 V6 and stuff their canned tune in there for whatever good it does. License bought, but when I try to use the device it tells me the ECU has no VIN and would I like to enter one? If I tell it yes, it just says Please Wait. Forever.

So I've been in touch with Holley's tech support and they have been extremely pleasant and spent a lot of time trying to help, but from their end really the answer is "Well the tuner should prompt you to type in a VIN and present you an onscreen keyboard"

This car is unmodified apart from dual exhaust, it's not a basket case or flood vehicle and overall the wiring all looks good, there's not any apparent corrosion, it's all clean. I have just physically removed the ECU to inspect it and it's spotless inside, no aftermarket chip on the J3 connector, the two caps do not look bloated nor is there the telltale goop or corrosion at their legs. The car starts and runs well, and it interacts with Torque and with FORScan over OBD2.

It appears I need to somehow get the VIN programmed into the ECU. What is the most direct and cost-effective way to accomplish this?

Thank you for any constructive advice.

OP
OP
shovel

shovel

Reaction score
Update I got Forscan 2.4.6 and their recommended vLinker FS with a license and.. yeah still nothing.

Because Forscan 2.4.x betas have been suspended there is also no support on their forums, which I understand.

So back to square 1, how do I get a VIN shoved in my ECU?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online