Noisy suspension

nasmscott

Reaction score
OK. SO I got a 96 GT to mod, and all I have been doing is rebuilding the f*$#ing suspension. I put in new spring isolators all around, new Cobra A-arms and it has Hotchkiss CC plates, Strrange struts/shocks and Eibachs. I torqued everything down when I did the work, all looks great, nothing is loose or rattles...but... When I turn the wheel, there is a POP noise, and just general racket in the front end area when driving...it is driving me insane! Anyone have ideas? Can the CC plates make noise? they are tight in place and have not moved since the last work (permanent marker lines around the bolts). Could steering rack bushings be a culprit? I swear I cannot stand rattles and crack/pop noises. I'm gonna run the thing into a wall and get a nice quite German car if I can't figure it out!! Thanks for listening.

4point6GT

Reaction score
nasmscott said:
OK. SO I got a 96 GT to mod, and all I have been doing is rebuilding the f*$#ing suspension. I put in new spring isolators all around, new Cobra A-arms and it has Hotchkiss CC plates, Strrange struts/shocks and Eibachs. I torqued everything down when I did the work, all looks great, nothing is loose or rattles...but... When I turn the wheel, there is a POP noise, and just general racket in the front end area when driving...it is driving me insane! Anyone have ideas? Can the CC plates make noise? they are tight in place and have not moved since the last work (permanent marker lines around the bolts). Could steering rack bushings be a culprit? I swear I cannot stand rattles and crack/pop noises. I'm gonna run the thing into a wall and get a nice quite German car if I can't figure it out!! Thanks for listening.

or you can jus donate that stang to my charity 8).........sorry i cant help. Im learnin still........

S

scarface

Mines doing that too since I lowered it. Im thinking it may be a tie rod end being strained.

S

scarface

Not really, most of the time its the isolators...but like you I have replaced everything but the tierod ends

jpajkos

Reaction score
is this popping noise only when you turn a certain direction? Is it like a " pop pop pop pop" or just one loud "POP" If you car is lowered make sure your tire isn't catching anything. Also jack the car up. Have a buddy turn the wheel while you look at it from down low the pin point the pop. Check your CV Boots

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The first thing i would look for would be ball joints but you replaced the A arms with the Cobra pieces so you have new ball joints? is the strut moving in the CC plates?

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
i literally just had this problem;
before you do anything try lubing/replaceing all the
bushings; they cause a heck of a lot of noise if theyre old
or just havent been lubed. then look at the ball joint etc if
that doesnt help at all

OP
OP
N

nasmscott

Reaction score
thanks for the ideas. All that is left is sterring rack bushins, sway-bar bushings and tie-rod ends. Oh, I found out at least one front rotor is wharped a bit. Since I will need new rotors, any suggestions on what to get? Stock? SLotted? Cross-drilled? Beveled? Trapezoidal?

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
trapezoidal are the best...
but really, drilled rotors are pretty weak
and actually fail more often than not, so just go with
the slotted.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Baer Decela Rotors hands down, stops better and looks 500X better.

On the suspension, bushings, or ball joints?
With my coil overs and the Camber adjusted all the way in, they can rub inside the towers.
I dunno if that's the case with springs??

Good luck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.