Not impressed with New "Gen 6" Camaro

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
Luckily the Mustang isn't and never was a "muscle car". It actually wasn't even originally a performance based car so I don't see that much of an issue with the 4 cylinder. that aside I think the front of the new Camaro looks better than it did, but the rest of it loses me. Also it appears like the Mustang the new interior is a huge step up, but I'd have to judge that in person. Overall I'd take the Mustang hands down.

Carnage281

Reaction score
Wow, and I thought camaros couldn't get any uglier, would rather have the catfish-maro.

OP
OP
1998cobrasvt

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
Luckily the Mustang isn't and never was a "muscle car". It actually wasn't even originally a performance based car so I don't see that much of an issue with the 4 cylinder.

Since neither mustangs nor camaros are muscle cars the whole no 4cyl in a muscle car is pretty irrelevant

I guess if you want to talk 1965 4 cyl onyx and get all technical sure you are 100% right.. My car gets called a "muscle car" where-ever i go. saying a Mustang or a Camaro isnt a muscle car...that's just busting balls at this point. :grin:

Atlanticblue98- what do you define as a muscle car good sir?

lutter94

Reaction score
Luckily the Mustang isn't and never was a "muscle car".

So a 429CID engine in a < 3000 lb. car doesn't fit your criteria?

According to Muscle Cars, a book written by Peter Henshaw, a "muscle car" is "exactly what the name implies. It is a product of the American car industry adhering to the hot rodder's philosophy of taking a small car and putting a large-displacement engine in it. The Muscle Car is Charles Atlas kicking sand in the face of the 98 horsepower weakling."[SUP][7][/SUP] Henshaw further asserts that the muscle car was designed for straight-line speed, and did not have the "sophisticated chassis", "engineering integrity", or "lithe appearance" of European high-performance cars.[SUP][7][/SUP]

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I guess if you want to talk 1965 4 cyl onyx and get all technical sure you are 100% right.. My car gets called a "muscle car" where-ever i go. saying a Mustang or a Camaro isnt a muscle car...that's just busting balls at this point. :grin:

that's fine, that just shows they don't know what they're talking about.

So a 429CID engine in a < 3000 lb. car doesn't fit your criteria?

According to Muscle Cars, a book written by Peter Henshaw, a "muscle car" is "exactly what the name implies. It is a product of the American car industry adhering to the hot rodder's philosophy of taking a small car and putting a large-displacement engine in it. The Muscle Car is Charles Atlas kicking sand in the face of the 98 horsepower weakling."[SUP][7][/SUP] Henshaw further asserts that the muscle car was designed for straight-line speed, and did not have the "sophisticated chassis", "engineering integrity", or "lithe appearance" of European high-performance cars.[SUP][7][/SUP]

technically no, that's not a muscle car. Muscle cars were generally big cars, not Mustangs. Ask anyone that actually lived through that generation. Mustangs are pony cars.

also i can promise you no 429 mustang was under 3000 lbs.

OP
OP
1998cobrasvt

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
that's fine, that just shows they don't know what they're talking about.

technically no, that's not a muscle car. Muscle cars were generally big cars, not Mustangs. Ask anyone that actually lived through that generation. Mustangs are pony cars.

also i can promise you no 429 mustang was under 3000 lbs.

I can see where you are going.

However,

Directly from Merriam-Webster: Merriam-Webster dictionary defines muscle cars as "American-made 2-door sports coupes with powerful engines designed for high-performance driving."

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I'd have to say that based on the 60s and 70s that definition is incorrect. It took more specifics than that. if you wanna call the old Boss 429s a muscle car I could kind of agree with that, but in general Mustangs were not. as corvettes were not, or the AC Cobras. 2 door sports coupe was not the whole story.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I can see where you are going.

However,

Directly from Merriam-Webster: Merriam-Webster dictionary defines muscle cars as "American-made 2-door sports coupes with powerful engines designed for high-performance driving."

here you go:

"A large V8 engine is fitted in a 2-door, rear wheel drive, family-style mid-size or full-size car designed for four or more passengers. Sold at an affordable price, muscle cars are intended for street use and occasional drag racing. They are distinct from two-seat sports cars and expensive 2+2 GTs intended for high-speed touring and road racing."

that's why a Boss 429 technically isn't a muscle car.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Technically technically technically....

Its not a big deal in my book they are just general terms to me.... and nothing will ever change that. I appreciate car guys who car but its on the bottom of my list of crap to care about.

OP
OP
1998cobrasvt

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
Technically technically technically....

Its not a big deal in my book they are just general terms to me.... and nothing will ever change that. I appreciate car guys who car but its on the bottom of my list of crap to care about.

Agree, i was just trying to understand his reasoning...now I know.
Did not expect for a whole page to get dragged out on this mini-topic..

I'd have to say that based on the 60s and 70s that definition is incorrect.

Now i understand. Your using the 60's and 70's definition, ive been using the modern definition. Problem solved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online