not sure what to think about the weight of the smog pump

stang94X

Reaction score
i decided to do some weight reduction yesterday like take out the front swaybar, the 25 lbs. wieght thats in the convertables, the smog pump and hoses 'n such. but when i took the smog pump out it was like holding a softball, it only weighed a few pounds, the hoses and such that go behind the heads and the tube that goes down by the exhaust was like 2 lbs. in other posts, sites and from talkin to other people say it weights somewhere from 25-30 lbs, so i'm not to sure on what to think, is there something i'm missing, i'm kinda pissed from wasteing a half hour for takeing it out. and after all that i weighed the car and it weighs 3540 with me in it ( i weigh 150 ), i also have no spare tire/jack, no trunk carpet, no back seat (not even a seat delete kit, just nothin there), no sound deading, only a driver seat without the power seat part that is an APC seat, no strut tower brace, have an aluminum driveshaft and no dogbone, and what i said i took out yesterday, so with a 94 gt convertable with an automatic, does 3540 sound right or does it seem to be heavier than what it should

thorco3

Reaction score
when you pulled out the smog stuff, what did you do with the air tube that runs back and bolts up to your midpipe. Did you weld it shut or cap it off somehow or what?

95-stang

Reaction score
I found without the smog pump and all its pipes, a small weight saving, BUT you can actually see and get to the other 4 spark plugs. O0

95PGTTech

Reaction score
thorco3 said:
when you pulled out the smog stuff, what did you do with the air tube that runs back and bolts up to your midpipe. Did you weld it shut or cap it off somehow or what?

my bassani x pipe with cats has no hole for the air pipe, so I assume his does too. that is the reason I removed my pump, because randomly it makes a pssshhh sound from under the car from the pump trying to inject air into the cats with the pipe open.

thorco3

Reaction score
well, that's surprising. Because I have a bassani o/r x and it does have the hole for the airtube. I would like to go ahead and delete the smog stuff, even the pump (It's my understanding I just need to pull it all out and get a shorter belt since the smog pump will no longer be there)

what have others done to plug the air tube hole in their midpipe (if they had a hole)??

95-stang

Reaction score
I just ran a tap into the little tube on the pipe, and pasted and screwed a bolt in, mines stainless, so i did'nt fancy welding it up.
I used a smog delete pulley, i dont have access to try loads of belts over here. ;)

The Green GT

Reaction score
I have a very good PDF on smog removal. Post your e-mail here if you want it.

thorco3

Reaction score
Well, I just read through the pdf... that all sounds pretty good, but I've still got a few questions.

I basically had the whole system out in the past two days because of the header install, so I know the tubes won't be any problem. I think i'm going to try and pull out the tube running to the heads without removing the heater lines as well.

My question, do I really need a "smog delete pulley" I was under the impression that I could get a smaller belt (I believe an 84.5" belt)... but the water pump or one of the accessories might run in the wrong direction or something. Obviously I haven't researched it enough, wondering if anybody could shed some light on using a smaller belt and what that would entail.

skidude69

Reaction score
thorco3 said:
Well, I just read through the pdf... that all sounds pretty good, but I've still got a few questions.

I basically had the whole system out in the past two days because of the header install, so I know the tubes won't be any problem. I think i'm going to try and pull out the tube running to the heads without removing the heater lines as well.

My question, do I really need a "smog delete pulley" I was under the impression that I could get a smaller belt (I believe an 84.5" belt)... but the water pump or one of the accessories might run in the wrong direction or something. Obviously I haven't researched it enough, wondering if anybody could shed some light on using a smaller belt and what that would entail.

Here is the link for the short belt.... DON'T waste your money on a pulley..... they suck and will eventually start to squeak or do something that will drive you nuts and the short belts are usually less than 20$...

http://www.sn95forums.com/forum/index.php?topic=8103.msg123450#msg123450

SVTGizzi

Reaction score
i used a delete pulley and just put a big rubber cap on the tube that goes to the back of the heads...big difference and im glad i did it! i can feel less drag on the motor... O0

OP
OP
S

stang94X

Reaction score
my bassani x pipe had cats but i cut out that whole section and clamped in straight pipe so i dont have that little peice that the tube goes into, and the delete pulley is just a waste of money, save the 50/60 bucks from the pulley and buy a short belt for $25

95-stang

Reaction score
A short belt cost me $60, but there's a UK supplier with a good stock i just located, wish i knew about them earlier. :(

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online