Not trying to spam-up or troll, just thought some might find this useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
Every car is different and so is every dyno but they're not nite and day different. Here's a video I found of a guy getting a baseline for his gt.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-Iz-fvGb_qs
Go easy on the bolt-ons and cam swaps fellas. It's easy to wind up spending close to $2k on them and the end result being a 20 hp or less gain. Change out the mufflers so at least it'll sound fast. Then address the suspension and after that save you're money on a decent set of heads or a blower. I found out the hard way once upon a time.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
gosh ya know I have read almost exactly the opposite myself. If your looking for a good track time(straight line or twisties) suspension mods is one of the best bangs for the buck even before the motor mods. Its been a while but there was a guy on here or the other site that had done a full suspension upgrade and very very little to the motor and was breaking well into the 13s IIRC. Now take that and put some power behind it and suddenly the dyno numbers actually mean something. Also not sure what heads/cam costs $2k to net 20 hp. There is either something very wrong with the head/intake combo or they are just that bad.

I mean if all you want is a dyno queen with a big number to brag online then yea skip the suspension crap and just pour it all into the motor. But almost anyone knows that a good driver with a good suspension can beat a dyno queen nearly every time so I would watch out bragging those numbers in real life or someone with less power and a better suspension will embarrass you if you line them up.

chris91

Reaction score
Why go easy with the bolt ons? If someone plans on doing a head/cam swap eventually they will need those bolt ons and it's better to start off with the cheap stuff that won't need a tune before jumping into the bigger ticket items. And yes, different dynos and different tunes will yield 20-30hp differences. You can manipulate a dyno to read whatever the hell you want.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Why go easy with the bolt ons? If someone plans on doing a head/cam swap eventually they will need those bolt ons and it's better to start off with the cheap stuff that won't need a tune before jumping into the bigger ticket items. And yes, different dynos and different tunes will yield 20-30hp differences. You can manipulate a dyno to read whatever the hell you want.

I have to agree. Long before I was worried about what the numbers were I just started simple like most do with a CAI and maybe a larger maf/throttle body. I say maybe because until you open up the bottom end and the heads the gain from upgrading those is minimal at best but later when you do have the cash for head/cam then you will be glad you have it already. Now for how different the dynos can be there can be a %15-20 difference between different brands and that is not insignificant. And then again remember how much temps/humidity can play in the motor making more/less power. Here is a good article that explains some of the differences.

http://www.badasscars.com/index.cfm...duct_id=64/category_id=13/mode=prod/prd64.htm

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I want to know where all thes aftermarket heads are. All we have for the modular engine is the Trick Flow heads. There have been people making 400 crank hp with pi heads. Not to mention, all the "stage x" ported heads are just modified PI heads. Don't get me wrong, I would love a set of trick flow heads but then you need a cam that is ground specifically for them and that severely limits your options. I'm going to use some npi heads on my special build :)

OP
OP
Nuttinbutcrumbs

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
gosh ya know I have read almost exactly the opposite myself. If your looking for a good track time(straight line or twisties) suspension mods is one of the best bangs for the buck even before the motor mods. Its been a while but there was a guy on here or the other site that had done a full suspension upgrade and very very little to the motor and was breaking well into the 13s IIRC. Now take that and put some power behind it and suddenly the dyno numbers actually mean something. Also not sure what heads/cam costs $2k to net 20 hp. There is either something very wrong with the head/intake combo or they are just that bad.

I mean if all you want is a dyno queen with a big number to brag online then yea skip the suspension crap and just pour it all into the motor. But almost anyone knows that a good driver with a good suspension can beat a dyno queen nearly every time so I would watch out bragging those numbers in real life or someone with less power and a better suspension will embarrass you if you line them up.
I agree suspension is one of the most important areas, no matter whether if its a street car or a race car

That's all I have to say about that.

OP
OP
Nuttinbutcrumbs

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
Because the stock TB, maf, cai, etc, yes stock cai, remove the air silencer) are large enough to support the hp that the avg Joe will make after he does the avg Joe head swap. Dang, tfs is the only company making modular heads?

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Best part about the new guys coming into these modular cars now is all the cheap used parts for sale.

If you are smart and keep an eye out you can score all of these supporting mods like TB's/Plenums/headers etc for a fraction of what we had to pay when they first came out so you can still save for heads and boost.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
funny that there are more head options on the pushrods then on the modular. I know I almost shat myself when my buddy with his terminator told me what a set of cams would run him.

OP
OP
Nuttinbutcrumbs

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
funny that there are more head options on the pushrods then on the modular. I know I almost shat myself when my buddy with his terminator told me what a set of cams would run him.
Yeah the modular stuff sure is high. I guess there's a lot more pushrod stuff because there are like 25 years of pushrod 302's on the road.
I think If a guy had to choose between a new TB or a set of subframe connectors they'd get more out of the sfc's.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I think for the limited gain over ported stock 4.6 heads most companies realized that the R&D cost wasn't worth the effort. Thankfully trick flow stepped up but honestly there are guys with ported stock heads in the 700rwhp area. We needed improved intakes IMO and the PI was a huge improvement. I would have loved to have seen a company like FAST do a composite 4.6 Intake like they did for the LSX.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online