Notchy shifting

JPuehl

Reaction score
I have an '01 Cobra that came with an aftermarket, unknown vendor, shifter and shifting is notchy, i.e. wants to "stop" in neutral between gears. Is this a function of the shifter or the transmission? I'm used to smoother shifting and wondering what the issue is. I don't want to buy a new shifter just to test but will if it is the issue.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The feel of an aftermarket shifter is very direct and not at all sloppy feeling. You will feel all the mechanics of the transmission through the shifter.

Im not 100% on what your asking but maybe the feel of the stock shifter is more for you.

OP
OP
JPuehl

JPuehl

Reaction score
The feel of an aftermarket shifter is very direct and not at all sloppy feeling. You will feel all the mechanics of the transmission through the shifter.

Im not 100% on what your asking but maybe the feel of the stock shifter is more for you.
So when I shift from 1st to 2nd for example, it feels like it pauses in between the 2 gears (which would be "neutral"), then a tad bit more effort is needed to continue the shifter's movement into 2nd. It's not 1 smooth motion from 1st to 2nd which I'm used to with every other car with a manual transmission I've ever owned. I'm just wondering if it's the shifter itself causing the "pause" or the transmission. I like the short throw and solid feel of the shifter but I like to autocross race my car and that "pause" has made me "miss shifts" because my mind believed the trans was in gear because the shifter stopped moving. I suppose I could get a stock shift, rebuild/replace the bushings and make a short throw shifter out of it, which is easy to do.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The shift linkage below the shifter has a gate pattern so that you find the gears easily. Under normal conditions, its usually smooth.

Hang on here....Are you saying when you shift gears, you find yourself applying pressure to the shifter a few seconds just before it goes into the gear? Cause that is most likely clutch related. If so, the clutch isnt disengaging completely.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The new edge mustangs came with an adjustable clutch pedal that takes the slack out of the clutch cable. It has this ratcheting adjustment thats real easy to adjust.

Some one correct me, but if i remember all thats needed to adjust for slack is for you to grab the clutch pedal and pull it upwards ....the opposite direction that it normally goes.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Yes that is correct.

Op it would be the shifter, could be the fluid or clutch. Does it shift into all gears smoothly with the car off? Which transmission do you have? The tr3650 isn’t known to be smooth.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
So when I shift from 1st to 2nd for example, it feels like it pauses in between the 2 gears (which would be "neutral"), then a tad bit more effort is needed to continue the shifter's movement into 2nd. It's not 1 smooth motion from 1st to 2nd which I'm used to with every other car with a manual transmission I've ever owned. I'm just wondering if it's the shifter itself causing the "pause" or the transmission. I like the short throw and solid feel of the shifter but I like to autocross race my car and that "pause" has made me "miss shifts" because my mind believed the trans was in gear because the shifter stopped moving. I suppose I could get a stock shift, rebuild/replace the bushings and make a short throw shifter out of it, which is easy to do.
to me it sounds like you are having to double clutch to go into next gear , that would mean a clutch or clutch adjustment or the trans is wearing out
never seen a shifter pause

95opal

Reaction score
If it isnt the clutch or clutch cable id say yes crappy ebay shifter. Even the older hurst shifters were very notchy feeling.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I’m wondering if removing two of the four springs at the base of the shifter would ease the throw between gears for ya??

OP
OP
JPuehl

JPuehl

Reaction score
I checked on this last night and with the car not running and the clutch pedal both in and out the shifter feels the same. I'm not "double clutching" and the clutch and adjustment are fine. The trans is a TR-3650 which someone pointed out above is not smooth so it might be something I just get used to. My car had a lot of high-end aftermarket parts on it so it's unlikely it's an E-Bay shifter however I couldn't find it when Googling; anyone know what it is?20220410_135102.jpg

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
MGW Shifter?

I gotta know, what cars in your past have you driven that were "smooth shifting"?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Definitely mgw, and that’s the reason I just sold my mgw shifter. They are very notchy feeling and l missed 2nd a bunch with that shifter.

OP
OP
JPuehl

JPuehl

Reaction score
MGW Shifter?

I gotta know, what cars in your past have you driven that were "smooth shifting"?
'66 Pontiac GTO, '96 Ford F250 pickup, '93 Toyota MR2, '06 Toyota Corolla, '11 Scion tC, '12 Scion FRS, '88 Toyota Celica GTS, '88 Toyota Celica GTS with Camry 3.0 V6 and 5-speed. This is the less smooth car I've driven but it sounds like it's the shifter, which I'll be upgrading.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
'66 Pontiac GTO, '96 Ford F250 pickup, '93 Toyota MR2, '06 Toyota Corolla, '11 Scion tC, '12 Scion FRS, '88 Toyota Celica GTS, '88 Toyota Celica GTS with Camry 3.0 V6 and 5-speed. This is the less smooth car I've driven but it sounds like it's the shifter, which I'll be upgrading.
Some folks will swear up and down that you cannot upgrade from a mgw shifter. I beg to differ. To me, the steeda tri-ax is the best feeling shifter for our cars.

badass98svt

Reaction score
MGW for the win for me. I tried all the others.
MGW is like butter on my T45.
Or at least, as buttery as a T45 can get anyway. I legit have not miss d 2nd since I've put it in. Sometimes I think people adjust the stops wrong on their aftermarket shifters. T45s have internal stops, so they are not even needed on the shifter in my case.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
MGW for the win for me. I tried all the others.
MGW is like butter on my T45.
Or at least, as buttery as a T45 can get anyway. I legit have not miss d 2nd since I've put it in. Sometimes I think people adjust the stops wrong on their aftermarket shifters. T45s have internal stops, so they are not even needed on the shifter in my case.
I know we’ve disagreed on this subject before. The issue I had wasn’t related to the stops, it was like the gate for the shifter to move in to was too narrow and if I tried to rip the gear, it wouldn’t let me in. No grinding, just didn’t let the shifter go in. Put the tri-ax back in, never had another issue.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have never heard a bad thing about the tri-ax, mixed reviews on the hurst. What ever happened to pro5.0 I thought they made a good shifter for the price at one time?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Staff online

Members online