NPI Heads

STNG_96

Reaction score
So I have the opportunity to snag a set of stock pi heads for next to nothing. I was thinking about getting them, and working on them as money allows, work including a different valvetrain, p&p, and some bigger cams, what do you guys think? I know lots of people don't even bother with npi's, but like I say, this would kinda sorta be a budget project.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
what year are they and off what? NPI's are very good when worked over and have a valve job.

OP
OP
S

STNG_96

Reaction score
They are off a 98. I know a guy that will do a 3 angle valve job, p&p, and completely rebuild them for 130, so. What kinda tuning would I need if I had this stuff done?

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
98 is the best npi head to start with...thats a good deal, make sure you put the extra money into larger valves even if they are stock pi valves.
You should get a good dyno tune after all the work. SCT preferably.

Adam

Reaction score
STNG_96 said:
They are off a 98. I know a guy that will do a 3 angle valve job, p&p, and completely rebuild them for 130, so. What kinda tuning would I need if I had this stuff done?

No offense but $130 to do a port and polish job? Anyone cab grind on heads, spend the money where it counts. Hire someone who has proven porting skills on NPI...Renegade Racing maybe? Some porters won't even touch NPI heads.

OP
OP
S

STNG_96

Reaction score
My roommate and best friend is the one doing it for me, his dad has a shop in STL, thats why its so cheap. Im not looking for a dollar store port job

gt96stang

Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
98 is the best npi head to start with...thats a good deal, make sure you put the extra money into larger valves even if they are stock pi valves.

why is the 98 heads the best.. I thought they were all the same? :dunno:

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
gt96stang said:
DropTopPony said:

Better casting, better exhaust port...Jim at Renegade prefers these and will look for that particular casting number when doing npi heads.

voidfinger

Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
gt96stang said:
DropTopPony said:

Better casting, better exhaust port...Jim at Renegade prefers these and will look for that particular casting number when doing npi heads.

Why are they better casting and how is the exhaust port better? whats the number on them anyway?

firstonraceday

Reaction score
Adam said:
STNG_96 said:

No offense but $130 to do a port and polish job? Anyone cab grind on heads, spend the money where it counts. Hire someone who has proven porting skills on NPI...Renegade Racing maybe? Some porters won't even touch NPI heads.

130 bucks for a p&p job is a good deal.... The machine shop where I live charges like 800... they also encourage that everyone try it once. Its not as easy as it sounds it pretty hard work.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online