O/r h or x pipe ?? and dumps vs tail pipes??

Jigsaw351

Reaction score
ive read some reviews about off road h/x pipes giving off a very noticeable exhaust smell. Is this true? If so how bad, I mean am I gonna get out of the car everyday and go to work smelling like a muffler and will my girlfriend say I never wanna ride in that thing cus it smells?????

im really leaning towards getting dumps when I buy an exhaust but I'm worried it'll be annoying on the inside of the car, again I Dnt want my girl friend saying I'm never riding in that thing cus it's to loud lol????
my reasons for dumps are they're cheaper amd I like the look

this is my first mustang and v8 car so any amd all exhaust info would be great. I've had numerous imports and crotch rockets so the fast car amd aftermarket upgrades are not new too me though

thanks!!

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Here's the scoop. Running dumps will make the exhaust smell a lot more noticeable. In my opinion to the point it gets annoying. My brother has a 91 Mustang GT, offroad X, spintech mufflers, its pretty annoying to drive. Dumps make the smell more noticeable, makes the interior a lot more noisy, and rattles everything loose inside your center console. I had dumps on mine, hated it. Put tailpipes back on and it sounded 1000x better, and the smell wasn't as bad. Offroad X and H pipes do smell, but you'll get used to it. It shouldn't smell strong though, if it does, change your O2 sensors cause chances are they're shot. But if you put dumps on, I guarantee you'll get sick of them pretty quickly.. And you'll probably smell like exhaust from the dumps. Tailpipes are the way to go in my opinion, sounds better anyways!

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
offroad exhaust has a very noticeable smell but with tail pipes you won't usually smell it unless you're outside the car or in the garage when it's running or if the wind shifts just right when you're at a stop light. the smell can hang in your clothes but usually won't just from driving it.

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
The exhaust definitely has a little smell but it just depends on your tolerances as to how bad it affects you. Your girl may not like it lol. As for the sound though I love my dumped exhaust! But I'm kinda biased on that, it's all I've ever known. All of my trucks have dumped exhaust, friends vehicles most all have dumped exhaust. The extra loud inside the car doesn't really bother me but then again I'm used to it. Sunday me and a friend made a short trip outta town (about 150 miles round trip) and had to speak up pretty loud to talk to each other pretty much the whole time. That can get old some times but it's just the price you pay for that certain sound.

Edit: I would also like to add that I'm running an OR/H with Magnapacks and 4" Magnaflow tips straight off the back of the mufflers which creates A LOT more drone than some other exhaust setups may produce.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
The exhaust definitely has a little smell but it just depends on your tolerances as to how bad it affects you. Your girl may not like it lol. As for the sound though I love my dumped exhaust! But I'm kinda biased on that, it's all I've ever known. All of my trucks have dumped exhaust, friends vehicles most all have dumped exhaust. The extra loud inside the car doesn't really bother me but then again I'm used to it. Sunday me and a friend made a short trip outta town (about 150 miles round trip) and had to speak up pretty loud to talk to each other pretty much the whole time. That can get old some times but it's just the price you pay for that certain sound.

Edit: I would also like to add that I'm running an OR/H with Magnapacks and 4" Magnaflow tips straight off the back of the mufflers which creates A LOT more drone than some other exhaust setups may produce.

You have a clip of the packs?

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
You have a clip of the packs?
Yessir! They're old videos I really need to make a better one.

This was right before I changed injectors so it was still acting kinda :handz:
[video=youtube_share;2yGPqsEPyQM]http://youtu.be/2yGPqsEPyQM[/video]

And a little clip of em in action!
[video=youtube_share;RHNG03tcJTk]http://youtu.be/RHNG03tcJTk[/video]

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Yessir! They're old videos I really need to make a better one.

This was right before I changed injectors so it was still acting kinda :handz:
[video=youtube_share;2yGPqsEPyQM]http://youtu.be/2yGPqsEPyQM[/video]

And a little clip of em in action!
[video=youtube_share;RHNG03tcJTk]http://youtu.be/RHNG03tcJTk[/video]

that sounds pretty sick!

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
i have 2 mustangs a 72 and a 94 both 302's.

my 72 i have a mild built motor with shortys, h pipe (o/r), deltaflow 40's dumped after the axle. That sh*t stinks! itll leave you smelling like gas for the whole day. Very noisy inside where you have to have the full blast and still barely hear it. It drones pretty dam bad.

my 94 has stock headers (for now), o/r h pipe, and magnapacks with tail pipes. I can barely notice the smell. You still smell it if you go behind the pipes. it isnt loud in the car you can have your radio on pretty low and still carry a normal conversion. But step outside and its sooo loud. My girlfriend rather drive in the 94 than the 72. she likes to talk. So i like using the 72..LOL

i can post up vids of both if anyone would like.

OP
OP
J

Jigsaw351

Reaction score
Is it pointless to add an off road h or x pipe and keep stock exhaust? I've seen a few videos and it sounds pretty good. As much as I like loud in reality I want louder and noticeable over stock but not " holy shi! That's loud". Should I just keep stock hpipe amd get a cat back??

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If you just want a nice tone, get a catback. Much more options to choose from. People don't usually get a mid-pipe before a catback. And if you're on a budget, you can just get the mufflers. Don't feel obligated to spend $500 on a catback.

OP
OP
J

Jigsaw351

Reaction score
Ya I thought about just mufflers. The stock tailpipes look great. Maybe that'll be a good route and can spend the extra money on other mods

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
ya like he said usually people do the catback before the mid pipe and headers. my catback costed me 600 bucks. so ya that was alot, but to me it was worth it. SO i guess it depends on what is worth it to you or not. You can run straight pipe. it is loud, tone is iffy. you can get a used mid pipe for less than 100 bucks on CL, thats what i did.

the advantages of aftermarket set up is the aftermarket mid pipes have 2.5" piping, so do the catbacks as welll as stainless steel works and tailpipes. So if performance isnt #1 you can just do like what someone said and get the mufflers welded on. Its all on preference really.

lot of people put flowmasters, they sound good, are pretty loud alone, but itll just sound like every other mustang out there. If you can find a mid pipe pretty cheap, ill get that, itll make the biggest difference, then if thats not enough get mufflers/catback, after that is the headers. you can pick up a decent catback for about 400 bucks. but ya idk man its on what you want to spend and how you want it to sound. if you put just mufflers on stock piping, itll make a difference, but not as big as the full catback

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online