o/r mid pipe help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by LJmagicJJ, Nov 12, 2006.

1. LJmagicJJ

LJmagicJJ Member

ok, so i bought a used h pipe. put it on, and ran into a problem. it rattles against the crossmember....the previous owner said he had this problem too....does anyone kno how i can fix this?

[​IMG]

the red line is pointing to where it rattles, it's only about an eight of an inch away from the h pipe..

keep in mind the car is lowered about an 1.75"

thanks

2. 95CALI-5.0

95CALI-5.0 Active Member

what brand did you get? is your h pipe the one piece or the four piece set up? is there prior damage to the pipe?
    you should be able to adjust the 4 piece ones a little. The easiest way is to take it to a muffler shop.

3. LJmagicJJ

LJmagicJJ Member

the guy i bought it from said it was MAC....it is the 4 piece set up....there was prior damge to the h pipe, he popped it with a hammer b/c it was rattling against his cross member just like mine is. i dont' kno how many muffler shops around here will deal with an o/r mid pipe.

4. Lightning Struck

Lightning Struck Legend

do you know anyone that has any kind of auto repair shop? It probally just needs to be adjusted at the connection points

5. scarface

scarface Guest

Mine did that when I got it brand new....Turned out to be my motor mounts were bad and I didnt even know it. Once they were replaced, I had plenty of clearence.

I have never see a MAC h-pipe that wasnt Black. ???

6. Iceman12

Iceman12 New Member

I had a similar issue wit my MAC pipe when I got it, had to put it up on a lift, loosen the nuts on catback and headers, then hit it with a big ass hammer, (with a 2x4 as a buffer) till the pipe was clear on both sides. no more rattle. ;D

7. Fryrice

Fryrice Active Member

If its only an 1/8 on an inch , you could put some RTV between the crossmember and the pipe until you figure out a real solution.

The lowering of your car wont have anything to do with it,except make your ride a little harsher. You cound even grind down the crossmember just a tad to get more clearance.