O/R x-pipe

Discussion in '96-04 - 2V Specific' started by sxyxc, Jul 18, 2007.

1. sxyxc

sxyxc New Member

1 are they really hard to install... i should be getting my UPR x-pipe tomorrow. (or really hoping) and i have been hitting the bolts about once a day since saturday... i have bought a 3/8 extension, swivle joint, and 15mm bolt.. am i missing anything??

also besides noice will i notice anything diffrent.. i have mills.. but like power of fuel econimy??

and i just can't wait to get it on i have been waiting since about when i got the car to get a new mid pipe.. i hope i like em with me flows

2. Red96GT

Red96GT Legend

If you've been soaking the bolts mainly the exhaust manifold to midpipe bolts for a while you SHOULD be ok. This was my biggest problem while installing my X pipe. We had a 3 foot extension with a 45 degree swivel and somehow managed to get the nuts loose. Other things that I ran into minor problems were:

-There is a platform on the stock midpipe that holds the rear oxygen sensor wires. My Pypes X didn't have this platform so now my sensor wires hang a little loose. Just make sure they aren't touching the pipe and won't get caught on the ground.

-The wire to the front driver's side oxygen sensor was not quite long enough. To solve this I disconnected the sensor wire from a bracket (you'll know what this is when you see it) that holds it in place. Also make sure this wire is not touching the pipe.

Depending on the midpipe you might have none of these problems. As far as cars go this is a pretty easy installation but like most things when it comes to myself and cars, it's always a bigger project than you hope for. Good luck!

3. 96 GEETEE

96 GEETEE Member

i got a freind to do my UPR X pipe....... the kit includes the bolts for were it connect to the catback and midpipe,, he said he used a torch to make life easier......and also somthing that wouldnt hurt is the gasket that is in between the passenger side header and the midpipe,(its olny a couple bucks)

4. Red96GT

Red96GT Legend

Yes. If this gasket is in any way dented, scratched, etc. it will leak.

5. tyler96

tyler96 New Member

good luck that passenger side can really suck! be sure and take your time, mine really pissed me off and i had to wald away for a while and come back after a lot of cussing :rant: i would go ahead and get the gasket, cause you dont want to take it off a second time to fix a leak!

6. Willis_98GT

Willis_98GT Well-Known Member

i just did a h pipe on mine.. DON'T forget to tuck up your 02 wires. one of mine ripped the ground and popped fuses and caused a bunch of unnecessery bs

7. sxyxc

sxyxc New Member

ok so they should be coming today.. hoping anyways.. and i was told to buy a 15mm bolt on another forum.. its too small what size should i try??

8. Twista

Twista Legend

easy.. stock bolts are 15mm and the aftermarket bolts are 18mm. (atleast on all 3 of my mac midpipes there 18mm)

9. sxyxc

sxyxc New Member

ok i was wondering because the bolts where the catback connects are 15mm but the ones on the manifold i think are 18mm like you said aftermarket.. because i have a shortie 18mm and it worked just need to get the mid one now

10. Steven

Steven Legend

wasnt bad with the bassani ORX.. but then again i had a lift and air tools 8) take your time, dont rush, make sure all the nuts are securely in the socket.. if not then you'll round em off.. and thats not good at all

11. Willis_98GT

Willis_98GT Well-Known Member

thats true! always take your time. makes you feel better after you finish too.

12. Whitepony

Whitepony New Member

how do you get to the bolts that connect the midpipe to the headers off? that looks like a bitch and a half to me!

13. Steven

Steven Legend

i used a swivel and a long extention.. then put the hammer down on it with my impact 8)

14. tyler96

tyler96 New Member

it can be a bitch! but yeah use a swivel and a long extension, an impact is nice to have but i've done it without one. be sure and soak the bolts with pb blaster, that will help.