obd2 dizzy-less 5.0L swap in an obd1 3.8L stang

3.8L_Aaron

Reaction score
New here, not sure if this would be the correct subforum or not.

Ok, so I have a '96 model 5.0L complete engine that was mounted to a 4r70w trans in an explorer, I've searched a good amount online looking for any obd2 to obd1 conversion harnesses with no luck. My stang is a 3.8L with a t-5, and I want to swap my 5.0 in because It's otherwise just sitting there. I'm all for doing my own research and I'm not looking for a "spoon feeding" of answers, just curious if anyone knows which direction I should go in, or if anyone has been through this process and can toss a few pointers my way.

Thanks in advance

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'm confused by the title. Your 95 V6 is obd2.

Im not familiar with the exploder wiring, my guess is that it will be easiest to "convert" things to the mustang and find a 5L mustang harness?

OP
OP

3.8L_Aaron

Reaction score
Man, I feel dumb, I just assumed that the stang was an obd1 car since obd2 wasn't really implemented until '96. I haven't even been under the hood yet. As for the exploder harness, it's TB, but runs coil packs and such. I saw a post where the mustang 5.0 could be swapped into a 3.8 car fairly easily. My natural instinct when it comes to vehicle wiring is to think about hondas and nissans...haha my mistake

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Your assumption wasn't totally wrong. For the v8s obd2 wasn't until 96. V6 got it first haha.

OP
OP

3.8L_Aaron

Reaction score
So basically what I'll have to do to make it work is trick my ecu into thinking my 5.0 is still mounted to the auto? Like with the neutral safety switch and all?

lutter94

Reaction score
Would you have to use the ECU that came with the coil pack 5.0? I feel like the ECU would control the coil packs....Not sure how the transmission would interface, would def be easier with a manual car....

OP
OP

3.8L_Aaron

Reaction score
Would you have to use the ECU that came with the coil pack 5.0? I feel like the ECU would control the coil packs....Not sure how the transmission would interface, would def be easier with a manual car....

Indeed, My plan will be to use the auto 5.0 exploder ecu and loop the neutral safety switch on the 5.0 harness and use the 5 speed starter from the 3.8l since its on the tremec

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online