Odd Window Issue

Discussion in 'Exterior and Interior' started by Vettn71, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Vettn71

Vettn71 Member

I've been steadily working on my 96 GT coupe and had it pretty well sorted out - until yesterday. I went to drop my driver side window, which has been working great, when it hung up about an inch down. Today I started looking at it and it hits something on the back, just about where the window track starts to curve. When I loosen the bolts holding the window track it goes up and down. I can't see up there to see what is going on. Has anyone had a similar problem? How did you fix it?

TIA

Jim

2. fran5o

fran5o New Member

Well, I can tell you the window is glued to the two clamps holding it into the regulator.
    I had to fix that on two different cars.
    Not sure about your situation though. Need more detailed info.

3. 07GtS197

07GtS197 Well-Known Member

I bet the regulator itself is coming undone from the track. Its held to the to the track via a type of connector that has a sphere at the end that pushes through a hole if that makes sense. Will its plastic and can pop out and my windows came unglued. I had this happen on my 00 gt but it was the front part of my windows that didnt roll up all the way. Well I replaced the whole regulator and reglued the windows but they both came unglued and fell off the track again. I sold that car shortly afterwards. If thats the case I dont know what to tell you honestly. Maybe the window coming unglued puts the regulator at a weird angle causing it to wear out prematurely and damage that connector I tried to describe earlier.

Pull off the door panel and check for movement in the regulator and see if your window is still glued to the regulator. I hope its just the motor binding or the gears stripped.

4. Vettn71

Vettn71 Member

Thank you for the replies. That gives me some direction to look. Not doing anything with it today, but will see what I can see tomorrow morning. Afternoons have been screaming hot here in DFW. Can these be repaired with JBWeld or is that useless?

Thanks
    Jim

5. Vettn71

Vettn71 Member

Think I found the issue with my window. When I loosened all the bolts holding the rear track I noticed the window stop was moving. In readjusted if and that seems to have resolved the problem. Or, maybe it's because I let the track hang while I ran the window up and down. Either way, it's done for now. Thanks for the help

Jim