Oddball SN/Mustang Engine Swaps

JKady

Reaction score
Lets see em! I'm not talking about run of the mill stuff like a 351 or 5.4 swap. I'm talking about stuff like the Toyota powered SN95 that has been popping up the past year or two, or that fox body back east with a 4G63 in it, oddities that haul ass. Really considering deviating from the norm once my '95 is reduced from daily driver status and I wants some ideas. 4G63T on about 30psi is pretty appealing at the moment.

lutter94

Reaction score
Pretty much just Fords, dart blocks, and a few ls's. I've never heard of a 4G63. But I would assume the T stands for turbo, lol.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
How odd ball are we talking?
I don't think we have any transgenders here, other than the odd LS :doublepuke:

I suppose mine is a bit odd though, like who the hell swaps IN a v6 and then builds it? :shrug:

4.2 v6 (f-150) with a m112 supercharger and other junk.

16375288570_da7b244115_z.jpg

I have seen a couple jz SN swaps lately, those would be cool!
Some coyote SNs, but that's not oddball, just a good idea.
Not sure if I've seen an ecoboost SN yet? only fox so far.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You talking the green SVO (Focus ST Ecoboost) swap? They did a pretty great job, real clean, looked killer.
I think there's a couple.
Almost think I've seen some v6s in the works too. I think we'll see a lot more v6 swaps soon.

OP
OP
J

JKady

Reaction score
Pretty much just Fords, dart blocks, and a few ls's. I've never heard of a 4G63. But I would assume the T stands for turbo, lol.
The 4G63 is the hot-rod engine from the turbo Eclipse/Talon/Laser and the Evo. Known for making 500hp with very little work.

I think a warmed up 2.0 ecoboost would go like stink in a mustang if you kept it light enough, could always go with the 2.7 from the F150 and really move.

Tony Corley

Reaction score
There was a guy local to me that did a late model hemi swap into a '97. Actually turned out to be a pretty neat car. Wish I had pics.

DavidBoren

Reaction score
There is a Duramax powered SN running around the interwebs. I think that's the coolest, most odd-ball, swapped SN I know about.

DavidBoren

Reaction score
I don't understand the draw of putting a 4G63 in it. If you want a 4-cylinder turbo motor, get a 1986 SVO fox motor.

The SVO four-banger block can handle more power than the 302w block. And you have access to transmissions and exhausts and K-member and everything else needed to facilitate the swap.

The reason people put a 2jz in a Mustang is because they want a sturdy inline six capable of spinning up to 10,000rpms. Ford doesn't make one of those, so you have to source it from elsewhere if that's what you want.

The hemi and LS swaps are simply because people want power, and the pu$$y Windsor block can't delivery. So, if you want cam-in-block V8 power, you either swap in someone else's motor, or you pay for an aftermaket block. Some people can afford a complete LS donor engine for cheaper than just a Boss block by itself.

Rallim

Reaction score
Theres a guy on instagram who follows me with a 1jz swapped SN95. Which is weird because he followed me when I was trying to convince my team to let me do it. They said no. :(

OP
OP
J

JKady

Reaction score
I don't understand the draw of putting a 4G63 in it. If you want a 4-cylinder turbo motor, get a 1986 SVO fox motor.

The SVO four-banger block can handle more power than the 302w block. And you have access to transmissions and exhausts and K-member and everything else needed to facilitate the swap.

The reason people put a 2jz in a Mustang is because they want a sturdy inline six capable of spinning up to 10,000rpms. Ford doesn't make one of those, so you have to source it from elsewhere if that's what you want.

The hemi and LS swaps are simply because people want power, and the pu$$y Windsor block can't delivery. So, if you want cam-in-block V8 power, you either swap in someone else's motor, or you pay for an aftermaket block. Some people can afford a complete LS donor engine for cheaper than just a Boss block by itself.

Yeah I'll just run down to my local wrecker and pick up an SVO engine... Turbo 2.3 parts rarer than hens teeth and the engine is 100lb heavier than a 4g63 and a 4g63 makes more power for less work. A 4g63 with pistons and a junkyard hx35 puts down roughly 500whp in an AWD DSM, the turbo 2.3 in a mustang is good for more like high 200's at the wheel with more internal work and the same turbo.

RichV

Reaction score
[MENTION=18186]JKady[/MENTION]

Not true on the 2.3T HP output. They are harder to find these days, no doubt. The biggest restriction is the shitty head, porting, big valves, a Volvo 16V swap, stock bottom end with a hx35 will go anywhere a 4g63 will, as far as HP. The DSM has a huge advantage in the stock head. My 2.3T SVO with a T3/T4 stage 1 hybrid turbo puts down 230RWHP on 14-15psi, which is a extremely conservative #. @17psi is around 270, but I can't run that with a stock intercooler.

Anyways, a 2.3T would be a cool swap in a SN. Better yet, that EcoBoost.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The mighty 2.3T! I have an old mustang issue with an article about a 2.3lturbo car. The photos included car with owner, engine shot, and one with the aftermarket tachometer reving to shift light at 10,000rpm. Cast iron head, cast iron block....ill go dig for it right now!

OP
OP
J

JKady

Reaction score
JKady

Not true on the 2.3T HP output. They are harder to find these days, no doubt. The biggest restriction is the shitty head, porting, big valves, a Volvo 16V swap, stock bottom end with a hx35 will go anywhere a 4g63 will, as far as HP. The DSM has a huge advantage in the stock head. My 2.3T SVO with a T3/T4 stage 1 hybrid turbo puts down 230RWHP on 14-15psi, which is a extremely conservative #. @17psi is around 270, but I can't run that with a stock intercooler.

Anyways, a 2.3T would be a cool swap in a SN. Better yet, that EcoBoost.
Yeah, like I said, high 200's low 3's without head swap/cam swapping etc... the Mitsu will lay down 450+ on a stock block with a junkyard turbo.

That is not at all to say that if I found a good deal on a 2.3 I wouldn't snatch it up in a heartbeat as it is an easier swap by far. Biggest hurdle with a 4G63 is the trans selection for RWD sucks, and I'd pretty much be stuck running a TH400 with the way T56 prices are continually higher than a giraffe's ass. I'd rather build it with a Ford but they're heavy, and they need a lot more fiddling to make the kinda power number I want.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The lx here in louisville that has a 4g63 is putting down around 1,000. The reason he put it in a mustang is because he wanted rear wheel drive and a solid body. Obviously the lx made the most sense.
[MENTION=9659]95opal[/MENTION] is that a grand national motor?!?

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

95opal

Reaction score
The lx here in louisville that has a 4g63 is putting down around 1,000. The reason he put it in a mustang is because he wanted rear wheel drive and a solid body. Obviously the lx made the most sense.
95opal is that a grand national motor?!?

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

yes sir one of the coolest swaps in my mind and hopefully my next project. trying to hammer out a deal on it when I get home this week.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online