odometer and trip died

josh0092002

Reaction score
well my odometer and my trip just died on me, all my other gauges work, what would cause that and how hard would that be to fix, if i can do it my self????? any ideas??????

jfor441

Legend
Reaction score
bump cause I would like to know too. I bought my car and those weren't working.

Whistler98

Reaction score
Could be a fuse. Mine was check you owners manual it was one under the hood. Don't just check them by eyesight I did that and never thought to use a wire tester on them and that is how I found out it was the fuse.

jfor441

Legend
Reaction score
Whistler98 said:
Could be a fuse. Mine was check you owners manual it was one under the hood. Don't just check them by eyesight I did that and never thought to use a wire tester on them and that is how I found out it was the fuse.

A fuse just for the odometer and trip meter? I will check that out this evening.

McCloud

Reaction score
Its the speedometer gear. Had mine go out back when I was using a 23 tooth gear to compensate for the 4:10s. It was a bad idea so I just replaced it with the stock 20 tooth and got a Speedcal. 2 years later, speedo is 100% accurate and hasnt quit since.

OP
OP
J

josh0092002

Reaction score
ok if it is the speedometer gear, how would i go about replacing it myself if i can?

McCloud

Reaction score
Just jack the car up in the front. The speedo gear is held in place on the left hand side, tail end of the tranny by a 10mm bolt IIRC.

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
McCloud said:
Its the speedometer gear. Had mine go out back when I was using a 23 tooth gear to compensate for the 4:10s. It was a bad idea so I just replaced it with the stock 20 tooth and got a Speedcal. 2 years later, speedo is 100% accurate and hasnt quit since.
it cant be the speedometer gear, his speedo works...it is a gear in the back of the gauges. it breaks because it is shitty plastic and from the constant pushing on the tripometer.

Whistler98

Reaction score
I tried my speedo gear and that wasn't what mine was. Mine was a fuse. my Speedo and odometer wasn't working as well as my cig/ lighter and my 12v power source. Replaced the fuse under the hood and it worked. It is free to check the fuses or you can try the speedo gear. I wasted money on mine b/c I thought for sure that is what it was. Let us know when you get it figured out what it was.

QwanSanchez

Reaction score
DFG_Pimpin said:
McCloud said:
it cant be the speedometer gear, his speedo works...it is a gear in the back of the gauges. it breaks because it is shitty plastic and from the constant pushing on the tripometer.

+1, what hes saying guys is that his "odometer and trip meter" that tell how many miles he has gone arn't working not his speedometer that tells his speed.

Its the little gear in the cluster itself that is broken, when i get home tonight i'll try to find a link to the some but it involves pulling out the how cluster and pulling it apart to replace one tiny gear, it sucks :rant:

nyuk98gt

Reaction score
"carradio.com" has a speedo/odo gear section and their gears are very high quality.

TCCoA.com (T-Bird and Cougar site) has several tech write-ups about replacing the gear (it is a fairly common problem) although their instrument clusters are a little different from ours. At least you can get a flavor for what is involved in changing out the gear.

HTH,

Chris

Jeremy

Reaction score
how much is a speedcal my 96 gt has gone threw 2 speedo gears sense i went with a 373 gear.

MustangMatt96GT

Reaction score
99 bucks! Anybody else have troubles getting it to be accurate? Mine is accurate at 30, but when it reads 40 i am going between 40 and 45, and when it reads 53-54 i am going 60-65

jfor441

Legend
Reaction score
MustangMatt96GT said:
99 bucks! Anybody else have troubles getting it to be accurate? Mine is accurate at 30, but when it reads 40 i am going between 40 and 45, and when it reads 53-54 i am going 60-65

Mine is 5MPH off. If my speedo says 70 I am actually doing 65. Go to the website and they have calculator that will help you to get super close.

MustangMatt96GT

Reaction score
Well, this is the wierd part, you know how the switches are 1 is up an 0 is down, well my speed cal wont work that way. I have to d 1 down and 0 up.

Also my speedometer was off by 5 when i bought the car because the guy did white face gauges and didnt install them correctly. I have not found time to correct that yet so I was hoping my speed cal would take care of that too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online