OEM Style Rear Upper Control Arm Bushings

Wade_GT

Reaction score
Hey there, thought I’d share positive results from replacing the rear upper control arm bushings (axle side) on my car. I currently have MM lowers and FRPP uppers, but never changed the axle side bushings after 137k miles.

I ordered the AC Delco bushings pictured below for $12 each and the MM bushing removal tool for $40.

all in all, an annoying job to do on your back on jack stands, but very worth the effort in terms of noticeably better ride quality and rear end controlled feel.
5FE6178E-1908-4230-97DE-A610C8E754A1.jpeg 6E6A5D98-F409-4F7C-B2D3-D04C7C5B882D.jpeg 5370A130-75D5-42CF-93FF-87553A546BC0.jpeg A9DA6216-73D8-4EEB-8D65-97ACBF1D9737.jpeg 56EC9B7D-4F78-4AB2-8249-28F3EAB8DD09.jpeg 68C00AFD-0081-4828-9D5A-2A0FFB67E242.jpeg

Akurma

Reaction score
... I don't think the axle side bushing have ever been replaced on my 218,000 miles GT. Definitely going to pick this up when i get around to refreshing the rear suspension.

Also side note, I see you have an MM Panhard bar, how do you like it? did it make a big difference? I have the opportunity to pick one up on the cheap.

OP
OP
Wade_GT

Wade_GT

Reaction score
Your axle bushings are definitely toast :)

Yes, I’d definitely recommend the panhard bar. The most surprising improvement I noticed is how it improved steering precision. Definitely a must if you enjoy corner carving.

sluggish94

Reaction score
Good job man, I had to do this job on the ground too. Sucks to do but like you said is very worth the effort. The MM tool is worth the money too.

Also, a good reason to choose rubber differential bushings is because they articulate the rear suspension in a way that reduces binding, as opposed to a polyurethane bushing.

delling3

Reaction score
Sounds like I have the same set up as the OP (sans panhard rod), having just completed a complete overhaul of my front and rear suspension. I did the entire job laying on my back on the garage floor, and no question it is a PITA! Especially hard to torque the front control arm bolts laying on the ground, and without room to use a breaker bar.

The rear axle bushings were not fun, but actually were one of the easier components to change using the MM bushing tool. Highly recommended! As this is likely a "once in a lifetime" job for me, I am thinking of listing the tool in the FS section.

joe65

Reaction score
i didn't get to those on mine this summer and need to also. I have the tool. upper control arms and axle side bushings for them. I need to pull my gas tank so i figured i'd do all that when its out.

OP
OP
Wade_GT

Wade_GT

Reaction score
That’ll be a great time to do it with the tank out. Especially with a panhard bar, there was not much room to swing a ratchet or fit an impact wrench.

weendoggy

Reaction score
If you're using Poly bushings in any of the lower control arms, it's highly recommended you put either the stock bushings or use a spherical bearing in the uppers so you don't get snap bind.

Installing a panhard bar on the ground would be a pita, I did mine on my rack and it really helps to have two people when positioning and mounting the brackets on the chassis. Overall is a really good handling car. I have some build pictures on my website (http://www.weendoggy.com/mustang/mustrearsusp.htm).

joe65

Reaction score
Weendoggy, really like your pages. Great pictures and information. Most people suck at documenting their work. I'm really interested in your coyote swap with the emissions etc. I have a gen 2 motor that i'd like to do the swap with eventually also and i have to deal with very similar emissions regulations here in Colorado.

Connie

Reaction score
... I don't think the axle side bushing have ever been replaced on my 218,000 miles GT. Definitely going to pick this up when i get around to refreshing the rear suspension.

Also side note, I see you have an MM Panhard bar, how do you like it? did it make a big difference? I have the opportunity to pick one up on the cheap.
Same here with our Mustang's. The '03 GT has 94,000, and the '04 Mach1 130,000. Sure makes me curious to check them out. Just looking at them, probably doesn't give an indication of their condition. Both cars seem fine, handling wise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.