Off-Road H or X Pipes, Where to find them?????

TrickVert

Reaction score
Unless you're building a high-power race car, there is virtually nothing gained by moving to an O/R pipe other than noise and stink. Tests have shown typically 3-5 HP. Do yourself a favor and either keep your stock setup or move to a high-flow catted pipe if you must.

With regard to shorty headers: They do not provide much if any performance improvement, again, unless you're building a high-HP engine, at which point you'd move to LT's anyway.

The Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers are a good choice, in my opinion. They will likely drone a bit (mine did), but far less than other choices. If it bothers you you can have a secondary balance tube installed, and that will cut it by 50% or more. (I did this on my '87 way back when.)

OP
OP
94StewFord

94StewFord

Reaction score
Interesting that you had drone with the ST's as I have put them in all my cars in the past from 250-500+ HP and they have all been just right. Nothing like Flowmasters, etc....

My Catted H-pipe is full of something and I want to remove it. I will not install shorty headers as the factory units are just fine for what I am trying to accomplish. Underdrive pulleys, TB, Intake, plugs, wires, simple bolt ons will suffice. I really do appreciate the input as I haven't played with one of these in quite some time though! ;)

TrickVert

Reaction score
Interesting that you had drone with the ST's as I have put them in all my cars in the past from 250-500+ HP and they have all been just right. Nothing like Flowmasters, etc....

My Catted H-pipe is full of something and I want to remove it. I will not install shorty headers as the factory units are just fine for what I am trying to accomplish. Underdrive pulleys, TB, Intake, plugs, wires, simple bolt ons will suffice. I really do appreciate the input as I haven't played with one of these in quite some time though! ;)
Thy Dynomax muffs had *far* less drone than the FM 40's they replaced on my '95, but definitely more than the stock setup. This car has Heimholz tubes to get rid of it.

I didn't realize your stock pipe was FUBAR. I'd find a catted replacement, as I hated smelling like exhaust after every time I drove the car.

Good luck with the project!

Randall Garner

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If you want off road non epa equipment. Remove the plates put it on a trailer and haul it down. Say it's for racing only. A shop might do the work then

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
If you want off road non epa equipment. Remove the plates put it on a trailer and haul it down. Say it's for racing only. A shop might do the work then
idunno if you watched that video I posted of that race shop that got busted all they did was alcohol race cars, they didn't even do gas anymore they said and they got busted for modifying ecu's.

dwcopple

Reaction score
You can always remove your stock midpipe and bust out the platinum in the cats over a bucket and make serious bank at a junkyard

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the aftermarket headers have all the individual cylinders meet at the collector where the stock manifold they feed into one another and then go down to the collector.

TrickVert

Reaction score
Shorties can show some slight low-end torque gains, and a small amount of HP, but the general consensus is that they're not worth the cost or hassle. They look nice and change the exhaust note a bit, though.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I don't think if you throw them on a fairly stock car that you will see much from them since the heads/intake are still choking them off but if you swap the heads/cam or put some boost on it and they they do help.

OP
OP
94StewFord

94StewFord

Reaction score
I don't think if you throw them on a fairly stock car that you will see much from them since the heads/intake are still choking them off but if you swap the heads/cam or put some boost on it and they they do help.
I will be doing the TB/Cold Air Intake/Exhaust/Underdrive Pulleys/Simple Bolt on's. Maybe tackle better intake, etc. down the road. This car is a cruiser, just having some easy bolt on fun with it. Are the Chips or Tune's worth it or steer clear of those?

Thanks everyone..........

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I will be doing the TB/Cold Air Intake/Exhaust/Underdrive Pulleys/Simple Bolt on's. Maybe tackle better intake, etc. down the road. This car is a cruiser, just having some easy bolt on fun with it. Are the Chips or Tune's worth it or steer clear of those?

Thanks everyone..........
until you get into the heads/cam its not needed and there really isn't enough of a gain to do a tune/chip

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online