Off Road or Cats

Grouper Trooper

Reaction score
I'm installing all new exhaust system in my 94 convertible from manifold to tail pipes. Thinking BBK equal length headers but I have a question about mid-pipes. If I go un-catted (Florida does not have vehicle inspections) are there any problems for the cars diagnostic center, i.e. engine warning light? I can go with cats if its easier and simpler.

Thanks

OP
OP
G

Grouper Trooper

Reaction score
So go un-catted as a no brainer? I assume no cats = louder? A lot or a little? I'm afraid I'm 25 years older than most on the forum and too loud is not what I'm after. I know it relates to the cat backs as well. Any suggestions for not too loud?

Thanks

WhiteGT

Reaction score
Im in fl as well 15 years ago I had an offroad h pipe with 1 chamber mufflers and dumps. It could set off car alarms. Get the off road then chose your muffler based off how loud or quiet you want it.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
well from the stock H pipe the volume is a big difference, I didn't notice much between my offroad midpipe and high flow catted x pipe. I like my car more with the cats but it's still too loud for my taste. Like white said you can get an offroad pipe if you want and pick a quieter muffler, just note not having cats really opens the sound and your muffler choices could be limited depending on your definition of loud.

OP
OP
G

Grouper Trooper

Reaction score
I have the magnaflow's on the 2003 Lightning with everything else up front of it stock and I find it "nice old school". I believe Flowmaster is a louder product than Magnaflow... is that correct? If there is little to be gained from non-catted verses hi-flow catted I believe I'll stick to catted. That will give me a better ability to fine tune my loud level with the muffler system as you both have suggested.

Thanks for the input,
Jayson

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
yeah there isn't a huge difference between the two but most people get catless because the pipes are a lot cheaper. the regular magnaflows shouldn't be too loud, the magnapacks on the other hand are rather loud. Flowmasters range a lot too, most people get the 40s or 44s or w/e they have right now and those are probably midrange volume, i felt like mine were on the loud side when i had no cats but with the stock H pipe they almost sounded stock.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
So go un-catted as a no brainer? I assume no cats = louder? A lot or a little? I'm afraid I'm 25 years older than most on the forum and too loud is not what I'm after. I know it relates to the cat backs as well. Any suggestions for not too loud?

Thanks

not necessarily as a no brainer. I'm 33 and I would rather have a more tame exhaust then a stupid loud exhaust like all the kids love to run. I want something to have a good sound.

i loved my magnaflow with an o/r x pipe I would do that or i would run a o/r x and bassani bx race or borla stingers

Im in fl as well 15 years ago I had an offroad h pipe with 1 chamber mufflers and dumps. It could set off car alarms. Get the off road then chose your muffler based off how loud or quiet you want it.

Shoot my o/r x and saleen mufflers sets off car alarms haha. A high flow cat flows the same as o/r literally.

well from the stock H pipe the volume is a big difference, I didn't notice much between my offroad midpipe and high flow catted x pipe. I like my car more with the cats but it's still too loud for my taste. Like white said you can get an offroad pipe if you want and pick a quieter muffler, just note not having cats really opens the sound and your muffler choices could be limited depending on your definition of loud.

yeah I liked my high flow h with borla stingers.

I have the magnaflow's on the 2003 Lightning with everything else up front of it stock and I find it "nice old school". I believe Flowmaster is a louder product than Magnaflow... is that correct? If there is little to be gained from non-catted verses hi-flow catted I believe I'll stick to catted. That will give me a better ability to fine tune my loud level with the muffler system as you both have suggested.

Thanks for the input,
Jayson

I now would love to go to a catted X pipe with the magnaflow catback I had

My old Pypes X and Magnaflow Catback
[video=youtube_share;hWgdw1unk6U]http://youtu.be/hWgdw1unk6U[/video]

my current setup bassani o/r x and saleen mufflers from a parnelli jones edition it's not the best video but you get the idea.
[video=youtube_share;e-3hfgqxyyc]http://youtu.be/e-3hfgqxyyc[/video]

OP
OP
G

Grouper Trooper

Reaction score
Excellent and well appreciated advise from all... I thank you. I believe I'll go with the shorty's from BBK, their catted high flows and Magnaflows to finish it out.

Cheers!

Rallim

Reaction score
Magnaflows sound sooooooooo good on that 347. I should try and fit my longtubes and throw some magnaflows on the car....

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
MAC Flowpaths on a 5.0 if you don't want to sound like everyone else.. Highly recommend an offroad X

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Excellent and well appreciated advise from all... I thank you. I believe I'll go with the shorty's from BBK, their catted high flows and Magnaflows to finish it out.

Cheers!

No need for equal length shorties. Other than for gee whiz. No gain and pita to install.
I would not recomend chrome BBK's either, other than for price. Ceramic would be great.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
No need for equal length shorties. Other than for gee whiz. No gain and pita to install.
I would not recomend chrome BBK's either, other than for price. Ceramic would be great.

Yeah the ceramic are really nice.

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Im in cali and we have smog inspections and all that BS. I installed the BBK O/R h pipe on my car and it made a huge difference!. I just got it installed today and its pretty dam loud. I have magnapack catback with it and stock manifolds. So yes you should get the pipe first then your catback. And the 94-95 only have 2 o2 sensors pre cats, and no check engine light

5-oh-MUSTANG

Reaction score
I curently have a magnaflow catted x pipe with regular magnaflows. Im swapping out the regular magnaflows with pypes m80's. Its too quiet for my likeing. It sounds deep but too much drone and not my taste. Shes gonna be all show and no go soon lol. Im young i guess so idgaf.

Reaction score
Go with o/r x or y pipes, the cats are expensive and restrictive, if you done want too loud just get some stock mufflers, that's what my friend has and it sounds great, and not loud

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Go with o/r x or y pipes, the cats are expensive and restrictive, if you done want too loud just get some stock mufflers, that's what my friend has and it sounds great, and not loud

Actually incorrect a high flow cat flows almost identical what a o/r pipe does.

Run the cats, it'll save you possible fines, it wont pop, and you wont feel the difference of 3-4hp, which is only 2rwhp or so.

1994gt

Reaction score
I have a 94 gt with bbk chrome shorties, o/r bbk x pipe, and flowmaster super 40's welded in the stock tails with tail pipes and I love the way it sounds. It pops when it's first started up but after about a minute of running it goes away and sounds amazing. It's loud but not that loud. I'm 33 with kids so it's not crazy.

Reaction score
I have Mac shortys, o/r bbk h-pipe, with flowmaster american thunder exhaust, and mine has never popped, and sounds great, and isn't quite as loud as you would think

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online