Official Fox Body Intake Swap Thread

Downshift

Reaction score
I bought a 93 cobra intake came with a 70mm fox throttle body. I dont wanna run the elbow for a 100bucks and all that stuff so Im gonna covert to the fox setup. Only problem is the EGR... I wanna run the EGR. The 93 Cobra has the flange deal on the upper intake built right in. So how can I get that to work with my current EGR? Thanks guys.

ryclef331

Reaction score
Re: Ok guys 93 Cobra intake ?s

Ok...let me see if I can remember this all right b/c I'm doing one right now but without the EGR. You'll need a fox throttle cable for starters. The TPS wires have to be spliced. As for the EGR, fox intakes ran the EGR exhaust THROUGH the intake. See that lil hole in the center of the upper and lower? Thats the EGR. To retain it, all you're going to need is a fox EGR Valve. You already have a source for the exhaust gases through the A.I.R. ports in the heads so you should really just have to slap an EGR valve on there, plug it in and GO! No more ugly tube off the headers....plug that up.

Here is a complete list of what you'd need though
(credit goes to 18mustangs over on Corral.net)

Fox TB
Fox TB IAC (you can use the SN IAC but it looks Fugly and you may have clearance problems)
Fox Throttle cable
Fox Cruise control cable
Fox throttle cable bracket
Fox Fuel injector wiring harness side of the TPS sensor
Fox EGR valve (and a 5\8" cap to block off the EGR port on your header)
Fox EGR spacer (with Fox TB studs) if not using a '93 Cobra intake or EGR delete plate to mount throttle bracket. Your stock TB studs can be reused if using the 93 Cobra intake.
Fox Vacuum tree (available at 50resto.com like most of these parts)
Tubing to run from the VC filler neck to the TB PCV tube connection if not using SN95 port
Vacuum caps if you need to block any connections off if you've deleted EGR etc.
a 3\8" pipe plug to block off the Fox ACT sensor port behind the #5 runner in the lower intake if you are running a Fox lower intake or aftermarked intake (or simply use the Fox ACT sensor as a plug for the hole) Don't forget about this!
You'll have to modify your SN CAI or modify a Fox CAI, or make your own.

Here is the TPS wiring splice directions:
TPS wiring...
SN95........TO...........FOX

RED/GRAY..............BLACK
GRAY/WHITE..........GREEN
BROWN/WHITE........ORANGE

MODS, can we make this a sticky so I only have to type it once! I think this is pretty thorough!

OP
OP
D

Downshift

Reaction score

Ok sounds good ryclef thanks for the help when I made this thread I knew you would have the answer haha.

California guys any body have a 93 cobra and do smog? I wonder how they will take the whole plugged up header tube idea?

OP
OP
D

Downshift

Reaction score

Hey just a quick question about the wiring harness thing? Im not sure exactly what im supposed to grab? I have a fox body tps so do I just cut that thing in half and splice it into my wiring harness where my sn one goes? Or do I need something else?

ryclef331

Reaction score

Either cut the pigtail OFF your old SN95 tps and cut the pigtail off the new FOX sensor and splice them like that.

Anrev

Reaction score
Wow, thats alot of work to do that. Much simpler to just add the elbow and be done with it me thinks.

Reaction score
Anrev said:
Wow, thats alot of work to do that. Much simpler to just add the elbow and be done with it me thinks.

I agree, not worth the hassle just to not have an elbow.

OP
OP
D

Downshift

Reaction score
Well I got a fox throttle body with the intake so I would rather run a 70mm then the crappy stocker. Its not much more work just the tps wiring and fitting your cai to it. As for the EGR that shouldnt be to hard.

ryclef331

Reaction score
I'm doing one on my car simply b/c its what is reccomended for teh Edelbrock Victor 5.0 Intake AND it adds valvecover clearance.

ryclef331

Reaction score
Anrev said:
5.0wned said:
Well I got a fox throttle body with the intake so I would rather run a 70mm then the crappy stocker. Its not much more work just the tps wiring and fitting your cai to it. As for the EGR that shouldnt be to hard.

Edlebrock and BBK both make an elbow that fits a 70mm TB.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/efi/tb_ford.shtml

Yes, everyone know they make adapte elbows...but for those poeple that get a deal on a fox intake and throttle body setup up...all you gotta buy is a throttle cable from a 93. I found mine for $25 locally....that DAMN sure beats buying a $100 elbow. AGAIN, this is just b/c some people strike a deal. Others its more cost effective to stick with the elbow. To each their own. I MADE money off of switching...

Anrev

Reaction score
And that is a big consideration. Saving $$$$ :thumb:

fastNA 95GT

Reaction score
im switching to fox tb better throtle responce tahn an sn95.

many have noticed a differce.

OP
OP
D

Downshift

Reaction score
fastNA 95GT said:
im switching to fox tb better throtle responce tahn an sn95.

many have noticed a differce.
Thats what I have heard also, not sure I will know the difference because I will be doing the intake at the same time... I am hoping to get this thing on this week.

OP
OP
D

Downshift

Reaction score
Got a quick question before I find out too late. I have everything I need to swap my intake out for the cobra, do I need different bolts or will the ones on my GT manifold work fine?

ryclef331

Reaction score
the lower intake to the heads bolts can be resused just fine. As for the upper intake to the lower...not sure. I usually take a bolt with me that I know threads into the lower, head to lowes. Find the HW section and buy a piece of threaded rod with the same thread pitch. Then buy nuts and washers for the piece of rod. Take it home and cut it up into the lengths you need with a cut off wheel! Be gently as you don't want to fuck up the threads. Screw a nut on the piece BEFORE you cut it....after you've cut it, back the nut off. The nut will clean up the small burs from the cut on wheel.

BAM! You just made a set of intake studs for about $5

OP
OP
D

Downshift

Reaction score
Ya I usually go that route too but thing is I dont know what size i need lol. I dont have a reference bolt. I was looking at this not sure if it will work though its for the GT40 Upper install and im doing a 93 cobra..... http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=FMS-M-6002-A50&autoview=sku
I dont wanna get started on the intake to be stalled by some bolts ya know my car is my daily so shit like this sucks haha. On a good note though I did get my throttle cable and bracket for Free!! Sweet. Let me know if you find anything out ill search around some more. THanks.

916_5.0

Reaction score
Yeah you got it for free by stealing it from pick and pull what a theif just kidding we jacked a lot of stuff from that place this weekend man.

White_5.0_GT

Reaction score
ya i also partook in the pillaging of ur egr at pick n pull...thank you very much...haha

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online