oil blow-by

Goons GT

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a small problem, I hope! I bought this Gt about 8 months ago and while checking it over I notice that the rear of the intake was leaking oil. No big deal, ordered the gaskets and switched them out, along with the rtv of course. When putting everthing back together the o-ring on the distributor looked ok so I didn't change it. Well the leak in the rear stopped but it looked like the front was now leaking so I thought maybe I missed a spot with the rtv so I started taking the car apart again when I noticed the front part of the shaft on the distributor was wet. OK live and learn always change the o-ring. Well I did this and what do you know it still pushes oil out under boost. Well I have changed this o-ring 4 times now, with different size o-rings each time, and I am starting to get pissed. I recently installed the small pcv catch container, like the steeda one, but it didn't help. Here are the details on the car in case you need them- 95 Gt, 50,000 miles, edelbrock heads,intake, and cam. Vortech s-trim with 9#'s, stock distributor. Oh I also have the tube from the oil filler neck running to the air intake tube before the mass air meter, this is how it came from the previous owner. I would imagine that I am creating to much pressure and the oil has to go somewhere, but what can I do to stop this? I was going to put a breather in the oil fill, but after reading the post on the pcv I realize that might not work for me. Need HELP. thanks

OP
OP
G

Goons GT

Reaction score
it was happening before the pcv system, I installed that to stop the oil from going into the intake

9psi 98

Reaction score
Goons GT said:
Hey guys I have a small problem, I hope! I bought this Gt about 8 months ago and while checking it over I notice that the rear of the intake was leaking oil. No big deal, ordered the gaskets and switched them out, along with the rtv of course. When putting everthing back together the o-ring on the distributor looked ok so I didn't change it. Well the leak in the rear stopped but it looked like the front was now leaking so I thought maybe I missed a spot with the rtv so I started taking the car apart again when I noticed the front part of the shaft on the distributor was wet. OK live and learn always change the o-ring. Well I did this and what do you know it still pushes oil out under boost. Well I have changed this o-ring 4 times now, with different size o-rings each time, and I am starting to get pissed. I recently installed the small pcv catch container, like the steeda one, but it didn't help. Here are the details on the car in case you need them- 95 Gt, 50,000 miles, edelbrock heads,intake, and cam. Vortech s-trim with 9#'s, stock distributor. Oh I also have the tube from the oil filler neck running to the air intake tube before the mass air meter, this is how it came from the previous owner. I would imagine that I am creating to much pressure and the oil has to go somewhere, but what can I do to stop this? I was going to put a breather in the oil fill, but after reading the post on the pcv I realize that might not work for me. Need HELP. thanks

Keep the PCV system, just route it differently. Having it plumbed into the air intake tube puts the inlet lower than the oil filler and makes it act like a drain more than a breather system. Stick with the Steeda oil separator system, they work well. Attach the PCV system as follows and your problem will most likely dissapear. :

-Go from the oil filler/valve cover to your oil separator on the firewall or wherever you mounted it.
-From there, go to a port that is on the intake plenum (the highest point in the system), there should be an existing one there that is from the factory, it is most likely covered by a rubber cap that someone put there.

*96 blue moon has a setup like this because he had a blow-by problem as well. PM him if you need to, he's a ford 4.6 technician and he'll give you more details about it than I can. I've only checked his setup out at a car show, but I plan to do much of the same thing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online