oil burning and characteristics... ugh

monkeydude3

Reaction score
well my O/R H is a double edged sword. Beautiful sound and improved performance, but now I SEE the oil I burn in smoke form.

Pretty much, the manner in which it smokes, is the second I tap the gas after any kind of idling, it blows a small cloud of blue and then nothing... only after it idles for 30 seconds or more. The more idle, the more smoke. And it does this on startup too (not until I tap the gas)

Compression is good... I'm almost certain it's the valve guide seals. I closed off the PCV from the TB and ran it, and it still smoked so it's not coming in there. I'm running high milage oil and the oil seal additive, so these stupid additives arent' swelling the seals like they are supposed to.

::sigh:: I want my new motor :mad:

any input to the smoking??

OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Reaction score
would it do me any harm to switch to 10w40 on my next oil change? this poor engine has 114000 on it so the clearances aren't tight anymore

97gtconv.

Reaction score
this is my .02 cents. i would seafoam it. the thing is it's going eat the carbon build up, clean the injectors (if u put some in the gas tank), and the rest of sludge stuck all in the motor. when you do that it rises unoticeable problems. for instance i didn't notice i had a mest up valve and after I seafoamed it i was like wow that's not good. after the seafoam i'd try some 10w40 to see how it works. good luck

SUTHRNSTANG97GT

Reaction score
Mine does the same thing but mine just smells like its running too rich because of the O/R H-pipe the O2 sensors are not reading the right Air and fuel ratio. Does it smell like Its burning oil or does it smell like exhaust and fuel?

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
a good test is to find a long hill, gear down when going down it so your engine is slowing you down (3000-4000rpm), once you get to the bottom stomp the gas in what ever gear is approriate to make you go up to like 4000ish rpm, look in your rearview for smoke or best is to get someone to follow you. what ever you do as your slowing down do not hit the gas, only hit the gas when you get to the bottom of the hill. if you notice smoke your rings are prob on their way out. if you notice blue when starting up its more then likely the valve seals.

Foster98GT

Reaction score
SUTHRNSTANG97GT said:
Mine does the same thing but mine just smells like its running too rich because of the O/R H-pipe the O2 sensors are not reading the right Air and fuel ratio. Does it smell like Its burning oil or does it smell like exhaust and fuel?

Mine too...

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Did you change the PCV valve? An old stuck one can cause oil consumption.

OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Reaction score
she has a new motorcraft PCV.

I seafoamed it not too long ago, bout 1000 miles ago. So this could have made my already bad valve seals worse?? oh yay! :mad:

next oil change she's getting 10/40 and we'll see what happens.

What pisses me off, is it runs so gosh darn smooth and strong (for an NPI) that if it didn't smoke/use oil, you'd think it was a brand new motor.

I think next change the thicker weight oil is about the most I can do at this point. Just will have to get my beater soon to let the stang rest while I build the motor.

Thanks all!!

94gtstang50

Reaction score
I'd switch to a mid pipe that gives you some back pressure, like a catted X or H. My car felt slower when I swapped in an o/r H. Plus it made it obnoxiously loud.

OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Reaction score
my car felt stronger with the o/r H... I love the sound as well. The pipe isn't the problem, the engine being a homosexual is.

G

GREG@SN95

PLEASE DO NOT SEAFOAM IT... TERRIBLE IDEA!

heres what I would do...

Find a rebuild kit, buy it, and use it... rebuild the engine... you are running alot of miles... don't try and take the seafoam (shortcut) just rebuild it... It'll run good as new

OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Reaction score
I already seafoamed it. It runs much better but now the valve seals are even worse...

I'm gonna build a whole new motor, new block, internals and heads so I justneed some stuff to hold me over

SLITH3R96

Reaction score
97gtconv. said:
this is my .02 cents. i would seafoam it. the thing is it's going eat the carbon build up, clean the injectors (if u put some in the gas tank), and the rest of sludge stuck all in the motor. when you do that it rises unoticeable problems. for instance i didn't notice i had a mest up valve and after I seafoamed it i was like wow that's not good. after the seafoam i'd try some 10w40 to see how it works. good luck

+1 on the seafoam love that stuff :thumb: I got a half can left from sunday when I seafoamed the car. Smoked like a chimney and backfired like crazy.... fun to watch.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online