oil change question

bigjohnson4.6gt

Reaction score
how many quarts of oil do i put in for an oil change?? I dont have a manual and was just curious

St33da

Reaction score
Engine Oil
Notes
TYPE GF-1
CAPACITY (with filter) 6.0 qt (US)
VISCOSITY 5W-30
REMARKS: Oil must also meet Ford Spec. M2C-153-F. Add 0.45 liter (0.5 quart) for police oil cooler
KEY TO LUBRICANTS: GF-1 -- Motor Oil, ILSAC Certification Mark (Starburst)

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
It has a 6 qt capacity but since there is a little bit left over each oil change I put in about 5 7/8 qt. :)

Whistler98

Reaction score
I let the car run for a few mins to get the oil alittle warm so it comes out nice and fast and then let it drain for awhile so it gets almost all of it out, and then put 6 back in.

voidfinger

Reaction score
wow :hammer: good idea, i did that one time and i got burned pretty bad :nonono: just be careful, b/c it sucks when you get burned and then jump and bust your head on the k member brace :D

Whistler98

Reaction score
voidfinger said:
wow :hammer: good idea, i did that one time and i got burned pretty bad :nonono: just be careful, b/c it sucks when you get burned and then jump and bust your head on the k member brace :D

Lol I know all about bustin my head/knuckles. I said a few mins not hot just warm the oil comes out much quicker and doesn't burn your hands. But if you let the motor get hot then it will burn your ass lol.

voidfinger

Reaction score
well i had 30 mins to change my oil and be back on the road so i didn't have much choice :noes: o well, crap happens right :)

fivepointnine

Reaction score
heyl, sorry to bring this up from the dead, but my engine has a Ford sticker on the timing cover right over the valve cover on the oil fill side that says 6.5 quarts are required, has anyone ever seen this before?

kd97gt

Reaction score
the only reason you should hold 6.5 qts is if it has a different pan.... or if you've steped up to a 1qt capacity filter im familiar with valvoline filters so the 4.6l calls for a vo47 (halfquart pressurized) but a vo1 will cross refrence (1 qt pressurized) a vo47 is the same as a fram tg2 maybe this will help

fivepointnine

Reaction score
must have a different pan in it cause 6.5 puts it right at the full mark, the decal has a ford number on it and says something to the effect of revise fill capacity to 6.5 quarts to ensure proper oil level sensor operation. Im using the stock Motocraft oil filter

WarHorse

Reaction score
if your car is equiped with an oil cooler your will have to add the extra half quart. other than that its should be just 6.

fivepointnine

Reaction score
001-2.jpg

kd97gt

Reaction score
if you are checking the level right after the oil change and after you start it and it is right on the money then its actually a half quart to much. ford oil filters take longer to drain back in the pan. so after the initial start check the level and it should read dead center. ( this is actually the fulll mark) because if you let it sit for about 15 to 20 min then check it . then i will have gone all the way up........ all of this is of course with a stock oem drain pan . I deal with at least 15 to 20 modular engines per day everything from 5.4 to 4.6l 4v 2v 3v police intercepter and have yet to see any take 6.5 qts. the only ford i know that takes 6.5 is a 2008 f150 with a 4.2l ( but the 5.4 takes 6 weird i know) unless like warhorse stated if you have a oil cooler then it will require a half qt more

mach1197203

Reaction score
The sticker that you are refering to is because of a recall that was done on these cars back in late 96 to 97 I think is the time frame. there where customers that complained of the oil light coming on. this was caused by the vehicle being parked at a downward angle and to the right ( the low oil light sensor is on the left side back of the pan). originally ford told customers to not park like this but after too many people saying something they went back and did the recall, it may have only been a TSB, can't remember for sure. At the time of the fix ford would put a new dipstick in, a new oil level sensor, and a revised oil fill capacity sticker on the motor. just another reason us 96' and and 97' guys got screwed until ford worked all the bugs out. Oh yeah and mine has a cobra oil cooler and I run an mobil filter and mine takes 7.75 quarts to be full, with the stock oil pan for my bastard 96' Really strange ordered car that a lot of things dont match up on the car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online