Oil gauge thinks its a Tach

Discussion in '94-95 5.0 - Specific' started by nolan62, Nov 11, 2014.

1. nolan62

nolan62 New Member

Ok, built a lot of cars over the years but I've never seen this. I finally got the 5.0 swapped into my 95 and running. All seems fine expect for the oil pressure gauge. Now it worked before with the old engine so I tend to believe the gauge itself is fine. Also, I do know that stock gauges are crap. BUT, This one goes up and down as you rev the engine. At idle it is all the way to the left. If I press the gas pedal it shoots over to normal. Literally, just like a mini Tach.

Has anyone seen this before? I'm going to try the easy obvious fix and replace the oil sending unit. I need some ideas guys, I'm going to be upset if the oil pump is bad.

2. D3VST8R96GT

D3VST8R96GT Well-Known Member

All the way to the left As if there is no oil pressure?

No knocking? The sensor is basically on or off.

3. nolan62

nolan62 New Member

Correct. No knocking. I decided to call Ford Racing Tech support this morning. I remember the oil galley crossover, under the intake, at the back of the lifter valley. It don't think is had a plug. I think there is suppose to be one. I'll report back what they say.

4. nolan62

nolan62 New Member

Ford Racing Tech Support has saved the day. My short block was part of a series in 1995 that was pulled from the assembly line before completion and given to Ford Racing to sell. It is missing a few of the plugs. I found the others but missed one in the lifter valley. The oil crossover, under the intake, at the back of the block. It needs a 3/4" cup plug installed. I did notice it but didn't think anything of it when I assembled my engine. So, I have to take the intake back off AGAIN and plug that hole.

Lesson learned - If you buy it from Ford Racing, question every hole.

5. D3VST8R96GT

D3VST8R96GT Well-Known Member

Compensation?

6. nolan62

nolan62 New Member

Nope, I bought this years ago for a 1964 Falcon project that died on me. This short block has been sitting around waiting for a home till now. But the Tech support guy was good enough to take time and go over the entire thing with me. Asking if I got this and got that. This is the only plug I missed. It's frustrating but I understand now why it was missing things. And if I had been more careful during the assembly I should have noticed the missing parts. So I grant the blame on this 50/50 with Ford.