Oil level and pressure

Texas_Black_5.0

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Real quick I want to thank ttocs and white95 for the help on the last issue, I feel like I got my answer and just bounced without mentioning I appreciate the guidance.

I'm also enjoying watching other people engage in a similar level of frustration as I am. Maybe its not just me.

In any event when my car starts to warm up the oil pressure slowly rises until it pegs the gauge out at max. This has been going on for some time now. I tried changing out the oil pressure sending unit and it seemed to improve somewhat but still high. I've changed the oil recently and it had made the issue noticeably worse. When the parking brake is on the "Low Oil" light comes on, but goes away when the brake is disengaged.

I checked the oil level and it's extremely high on the dipstick. So obviously I should drain some oil. But the thing that concerns me is I know for a fact I put 5 qts in it when I changed the oil. So did I not drain the oil properly. I pulled both drain plugs. How much can the front end be jacked up when you do this, does the car have to be level to get all the oil out when draining?

While we are talking about oil pressure, if I got an independent pressure gauge hooked up, what reading in psi should I expect to get in a healthy engine?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
how loose is the connection on the harness to the sender? If it is too loose and then the motor heats up it could be loosing the connection and causing a problem.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The 5.0’s don’t have a sending unit. It’s a switch and when it hits a certain pressure the gauge goes to normal. If there isn’t enough pressure it stays low. If your gauge is spiking you have either a bad switch or as Scott said there may be an issue at the switches wiring.

Make sure your vehicle is level and hasn’t ran overnight and check it in the morning. 5 quarts will not overfill it if you emptied the block and pulled the filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Texas_Black_5.0

Texas_Black_5.0

Reaction score
The 5.0’s don’t have a sending unit. It’s a switch and when it hits a certain pressure the gauge goes to normal. If there isn’t enough pressure it stays low. If your gauge is spiking you have either a bad switch or as Scott said there may be an issue at the switches wiring.

Make sure your vehicle is level and hasn’t ran overnight and check it in the morning. 5 quarts will not overfill it if you emptied the block and pulled the filter.

As per your suggestion I checked the dipstick this morning after leaving it alone for well over 12 hours. The oil level reaches the "F" in full, which is well above the cross hatched area. But I remember reading somewhere that the dipstick in these cars aren't all that reliable. The car has had electrical issues forever. Wiring is a genuine possibility.

I definitely pulled the filter and drained the block, but the car has some aftermarket suspension work that makes it ride lower, I had it up on jacks to change the oil and that resulted in an angle that limits my confidence on how drained the block ended up getting.

With an aftermarket gauge like this one: https://www.autometer.com/2-oil-press-0-100-psi-old-tyme-black.html could I buy an aftermarket sensor that would end up giving me an actually accurate reading?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I don't know but it is something I'm for sure going to check this weekend.
just grab and jiggle the connections and see if the gauge changes. Obviously a 2 person job but just have someone sit and tell you if it changes while you mess with it. Follow the wire as far as you can trace it and see if it changes while doing it.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I’d say your fine on the oil level.

Try as Scott says and see if it changes. If not grab a new switch. They’re cheep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online