Oil Pan Dent

Discussion in '96-04 - 2V Specific' started by ForeverDriven, Mar 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. ForeverDriven

ForeverDriven New Member

Just bought this 97 Mustang GT a while back. Fun car, and I just put it on coil-overs.

Long story short, I believe I put a small-medium dent in the oil pan (I'm honestly unsure if it was there before, but this problem started after I bottomed out on a speed bump). The dent is near the back, on the lowest part of the pan. Here's the main problem though:

Engine has run fine, but when I'm flooring it in first and second gear it definitely sounds like a spinning engine component is scrapping another part. Doesn't do it when I'm going easy in those gears, and doesn't do it while flooring it in 3d, 4th, etc.

I'm unsure what it means when it only scraps at full bore in first and second. I'm guessing there's simply more vibration, and that's why it's able to reach the dent in the pan in only those gears?

Anyway, if you think I gotta replace the pan, comment the best way to do it. I have access to an engine hoist so if just disconnecting the transmission and engine mounts is the easiest, I can go for it.

Thanks,
    Blake

2. Silver95bird

Silver95bird Active Member

Pictures would help a ton.
    I have had bad engine mounts that made the engine sit so low, the front of the oil pan rested on the crossmenber. Look for things like that, you never know what you'll find.
    Fir a dent back there to cause a problem, it would have to be huge, or it would have to shove the bottom up against the oil pickup - anyone know what the pan/pickup clearance is?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

3. OLD H2S

OLD H2S Well-Known Member SN95 Supporter

There is an oil scraper built into the pan that has changed position.

4. CobraEd

CobraEd New Member

Oil pickup should be around 5/16 to 3/8" above floor of pan.

5. ForeverDriven

ForeverDriven New Member

What is this "oil scraper"? Sorry but I've never messed with the bottom ends of my cars before. Do you think this oil scraper is scraping against a rod when I floor it or?

6. ForeverDriven

ForeverDriven New Member

Shit, so you think I might've been starving the engine of oil a bit?

7. OLD H2S

OLD H2S Well-Known Member SN95 Supporter

2 big wings welded into the bottom the pan in the short section at the front, any misalignment and it hits the spinning crank.

8. CobraEd

CobraEd New Member

Not saying you have oil starvation, but if the dent is under the oil pickup you're not going to know how much clearance you have unless you check it.

Then after you remove pan & you clean things up, put tape over the oil pickup (so that clay or playdo won't get in it) stick a lump of clay in oil pan in the pickup area, reinstall pan with a few bolts, remove & measure thickness of compressed clay. That will tell you your clearance. You can leave gasket off for that measurement & add compressed thickness of gasket to get your pickup to pan clearance.

Also check engine for evidence of rotating assembly hitting anything.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

9. RAU03MACH

RAU03MACH Well-Known Member

If your going to remove the pan isn't it better to replace the pan

10. RAU03MACH

I had a dent close to the oil pickup like that and just decided to replace it

11. ttocs

ttocs Post Whore

I would say it depends on what your time is worth, and if you got the spare cash, and how dedicated you are to finding the problem. It would make things quicker to swap them out and go on your way but it would cost more and there is the possibility that it wasn't a problem, and the noise is still there.

RAU03MACH likes this.
  12. RAU03MACH

If you do have the pan off you should be doing an inspection on the rotating assembly
    I would still replace the pan that's just me
    Money dose come into play it is a quicker fix

13. 01yellercobra

01yellercobra Active Member

The scraper will only hit a couple times. The crank will self clearance them pretty quickly. Learned that on my big bore.

RAU03MACH likes this.