Oil Pan Dent

ForeverDriven

Reaction score
Just bought this 97 Mustang GT a while back. Fun car, and I just put it on coil-overs.

Long story short, I believe I put a small-medium dent in the oil pan (I'm honestly unsure if it was there before, but this problem started after I bottomed out on a speed bump). The dent is near the back, on the lowest part of the pan. Here's the main problem though:

Engine has run fine, but when I'm flooring it in first and second gear it definitely sounds like a spinning engine component is scrapping another part. Doesn't do it when I'm going easy in those gears, and doesn't do it while flooring it in 3d, 4th, etc.

I'm unsure what it means when it only scraps at full bore in first and second. I'm guessing there's simply more vibration, and that's why it's able to reach the dent in the pan in only those gears?

Anyway, if you think I gotta replace the pan, comment the best way to do it. I have access to an engine hoist so if just disconnecting the transmission and engine mounts is the easiest, I can go for it.

Thanks,
Blake

Silver95bird

Reaction score
Pictures would help a ton.
I have had bad engine mounts that made the engine sit so low, the front of the oil pan rested on the crossmenber. Look for things like that, you never know what you'll find.
Fir a dent back there to cause a problem, it would have to be huge, or it would have to shove the bottom up against the oil pickup - anyone know what the pan/pickup clearance is?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

CobraEd

Reaction score
Oil pickup should be around 5/16 to 3/8" above floor of pan.

OP
OP
ForeverDriven

ForeverDriven

Reaction score
There is an oil scraper built into the pan that has changed position.

What is this "oil scraper"? Sorry but I've never messed with the bottom ends of my cars before. Do you think this oil scraper is scraping against a rod when I floor it or?

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
2 big wings welded into the bottom the pan in the short section at the front, any misalignment and it hits the spinning crank.

CobraEd

Reaction score
Not saying you have oil starvation, but if the dent is under the oil pickup you're not going to know how much clearance you have unless you check it.

Then after you remove pan & you clean things up, put tape over the oil pickup (so that clay or playdo won't get in it) stick a lump of clay in oil pan in the pickup area, reinstall pan with a few bolts, remove & measure thickness of compressed clay. That will tell you your clearance. You can leave gasket off for that measurement & add compressed thickness of gasket to get your pickup to pan clearance.

Also check engine for evidence of rotating assembly hitting anything.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would say it depends on what your time is worth, and if you got the spare cash, and how dedicated you are to finding the problem. It would make things quicker to swap them out and go on your way but it would cost more and there is the possibility that it wasn't a problem, and the noise is still there.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
If you do have the pan off you should be doing an inspection on the rotating assembly
I would still replace the pan that's just me
Money dose come into play it is a quicker fix

01yellercobra

Reaction score
The scraper will only hit a couple times. The crank will self clearance them pretty quickly. Learned that on my big bore.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.