Oil pan gasket

SMOKEDYA

Reaction score
Whats the easiest way to change a oil pan gasket. I'm thinking of supporting the motor and dropping the k member.

kb1982

Reaction score
I did this on my car not to long ago. Unless you have an oil pan like the one below like I do, Id say unbolt the motor mount studs and lift the engine up with a cherry picker. Thats the route I went, but it was a pita with that oil pan. I unbolted the exhaust from the headers, loosened the tranny mount, and lifted up on the motor using a rear bellhousing bolt and the powersteering bracket bolt. Due to my oil pan, i had to unbolt the rack also so it had enough clearance. This was with a UPR k member also. To get the pan completely off, i had to drop the pan down, unbolt the pump, (just the pickup woulda worked but it was harder to get to), and then everything finally was able to be removed. If you have to drop the rack down also, the steering shaft needs to be unbolted also. This link has a few shots of my motor from the bottom side looking up. http://www.sn95forums.com/showthread.php?66069-Made-Some-Progress-Today-And-found-some-goodies. And this is the oil pan that made life sooo much more difficult.

18511_part by benningfield_19k, on Flickr

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
A Felpro one-piece gasket will make install pretty damn easy too if you can get the pan down. I put one on my motor which was on the stand so it wasn't a big deal either way but they come with some clips that screw in and hold the gasket and pan up so you can get a few bolts started. Lot easier than trying to hold it up and start a few bolts. Done a couple oil pan gaskets a few friend's vehicles here and there and wish I would have had those clips for those jobs instead of this one with the motor out of the vehicle.

BLWNBYU

Reaction score
It can be done by raising the motor but you will have one hell of a time getting it to seal around the main caps.. I have the tools, the only way I would do it is with the engine on a stand, but you can certainly drop the K much faster.

RichV

Reaction score
I changed the oil pump with just raising the motor off the mounts. Tall jack stands on the front, hoist on the motor, and you'll be good. Actually pretty easy, if you have a mess down there from a long term oil leak I'd probably get under it at a car wash and blast the living hell out of everything down low. Use some degreaser or Simple Green and get it off before you get under it.

Also, get a single piece gasket. I have a felpro like the below, reused it many times.
fel-os13260t_w.jpg

Hopefully the old gasket won't be a PITA to remove. Oh and drain all your oil 1st. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online