Oil pressure and highway speeds

OP
OP
Rolltide1006

Rolltide1006

Reaction score
0eb857b31030e911d9e0900837a03ffe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol ya I am running 5w-20. Going to put 5w-30 in it and see what it does when it’s nice and hot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
If your oil pressure keeps getting lower, it’s not the oil that’s doing it. I run 5w-20 in all my stuff, even my 318k mile 5.4l in my truck.

OP
OP
Rolltide1006

Rolltide1006

Reaction score
If your oil pressure keeps getting lower, it’s not the oil that’s doing it. I run 5w-20 in all my stuff, even my 318k mile 5.4l in my truck.

Changed the oil (3rd time since firing the motor up.) I noticed there is still a fine material from things wearing together. Motor has less than 5k miles on it.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Motor is tapping around cylinders 7-8. Yay

In your original post, it sounds like you me oil pressure when hot never goes over 50 psi. That is an issue. Good rule of thumb is 10psi per 1000 rpm.

If you have to go back in to it (sounds like you might), get yourself a 3v/gt500 pump and pickup tube with billet gears from boundary pumps. You’ll never have an issue again.

I lost my first build to an oil pump issue. Never saw over 55 psi when hot and I was turning 8k+ rpm. It didn’t last long.

OP
OP
Rolltide1006

Rolltide1006

Reaction score
In your original post, it sounds like you me oil pressure when hot never goes over 50 psi. That is an issue. Good rule of thumb is 10psi per 1000 rpm.

If you have to go back in to it (sounds like you might), get yourself a 3v/gt500 pump and pickup tube with billet gears from boundary pumps. You’ll never have an issue again.

I lost my first build to an oil pump issue. Never saw over 55 psi when hot and I was turning 8k+ rpm. It didn’t last long.

Ya I will drop the motor in a week. I have 4 motors apart at work already and no lift available. Big time bummer. This is the 2nd rebuild on this motor within 2 years. First time it started knocking was a year after the first build. Cylinder 1’s rod bearing spun. Now there is tapping around cylinders 7-8. I can’t tell which one with the stethoscope, but narrowed the tap down to there. I need beer lol [emoji481]

AStangThang

Reaction score
Hello all and I apologize if this issue I am having has been answered before. I can’t find my particular issue discussed on google :( Oil is full and is Motorcraft 5w-20 with a Motorcraft oil filter. Wiring to the autometer gauge is [emoji108][emoji2532]

I have a 97 GT and hooked up a autometer oil pressure gauge to know where I am at. The motor is a 4.6 2v and has PI heads, blower cams and was rebuilt 2k miles ago. Oil pressure is 70-80psi on cold start and I never lose it or see it drastically change. When nice and hot, I am idling with 20-25 psi. Once i bump the throttle it shoots to 50 psi. When I accelerate hard from a stop I see a nice gradual climb with pressure all the way to 60-70 psi. When I am driving on the highway is when I notice a slight fluctuation. When I am going 70-75mph in 5th gear at about 2200 rpm I noticed the meter was at 50 psi. I give it throttle and the needle will drop slightly down to about 45 psi and once I let off the throttle it will jump back to 50 psi. When I am at the same speeds and drop it into 3rd and accelerate the pressure goes to 55 and doesn’t climb as quick as it does when I am messing around in town. This is my first time having a aftermarket oil pressure gauge so I may be just a little paranoid. Just wanted to hear yalls opinions and/or experiences. Am I crazy or what? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[/QUOT
I have a 97 GT also, but a stout little npi. I use 5w30 castrol synthetic w/ a quart a synthetic Lucas, its got 40k on the engine, ran that oil ever since after break in, runs like a top.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albertmarshall7752

Members online

No members online now.