oil pressure help needed

JERSEYTHUNDER

Reaction score
hi,
need a little advice....94 COBRA ...fire her up....oil pressure climbs right up....drive it around...still looking great.....about a 1/2 hour goes buy, stop the car,let it idle, drops to 0...all the way down....tap the gas, just past idle...right back up...let up....back down.
stock guages....when it drops my freaking heart jumps!

this happen to anyone else?
change sending unit?
go to mechanical?

looking for good news :noes:
JT

95-stang

Reaction score
I usually have an old mechanical handy, i just plumb it in, put the pipe through the side window and drive to see the readings.
Electric are not the best, or the most accurate, but its better to see if you have a problem before you start replacing everything. ;)

ripper

Reaction score
I had that same thing happen to me in my old chevy work van. It was the sending unit.

S

scarface

I had this problem in my old truck... I put a high volume, high pressure oil pump in, and it didnt help. So I sold it. THe new owners said it turned out to be the cam bearings?

OP
OP
J

JERSEYTHUNDER

Reaction score
cam bearings?......your the second person that said that... :noes:
if it is the cam bearings, um..... :dunno:

JT

S

scarface

JERSEYTHUNDER said:
cam bearings?......your the second person that said that... :noes:
if it is the cam bearings, um..... :dunno:

JT
rebuild and machine work I believe.

ripper

Reaction score
Change the sending unit. Its cheap and easy. Unplug 1 wire, screw it out, little anti seaz, and put new one back in.

S

scarface

OEM if you want to use the factory gauge...if you are truly concerned about it get an aftermarket gauge.

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
Install a mechanical gauge and get a true reading on the oil presure. If you are still getting a very low reading, most likely it is a bearing problem. How many miles on the engine?

OP
OP
J

JERSEYTHUNDER

Reaction score
How many miles on the engine?

LMAO...290,000 MILES... :hammer:

i know. i know.....it's do

BUT!! it still runs great, doesn't knock,tap,burn,leak...etc.
just went to a 10/40 with lucas oil treatment....it may have cleared the problem, i may have went to light with 5/20.
tried the lighter to see what would happen.... :aresehole:

THESE FREAKING 5.0 ARE GREAT!!!!

JT

Downshift

Reaction score
290k in miles or Kilo? Thats beastly mileage man. Thats 290 original on the motor or the body? Pretty insane that car was driven A LOT haha. Hopefully you got it fixed for NOW, I wouldnt be angry if the engine needed a rebuild soon though.

95PGTTech

Reaction score
scarface said:
I had this problem in my old truck... I put a high volume, high pressure oil pump in, and it didnt help. So I sold it. THe new owners said it turned out to be the cam bearings?

it is possible...as we all know, pressure is the resistance to flow. so if the camshaft bearings (on, say, an OHV engine) are worn and have larger passages for oil than stock, the vehicle will lose oil pressure.

this is not uncommon on modular motors from my dealership experiences.

OP
OP
J

JERSEYTHUNDER

Reaction score
290K MILES.......yep motor has never been touch, except for a timing chain and dist.

rear completely rebuilt....

lots of Florida blasts!!!!. :banana: :banana: :banana:....from OHIO... :drunk: :drunk:
picked it up from a guy that wanted one of my bikes....now it's my 17yr old daughters car
kind of a daddy/daughter project...we're both having fun...

JT

[attachment deleted by admin]

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
290k holy gumdrops batman! The thicker oil will work in the short term. Get ready for a engine job.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online