Oil Pressure Issue

OP
OP
Bub

Bub

Reaction score
a quick google search to see where the galley plugs are I see one on the top of the rear of the block in the lifter galley, and there is 2 more near under the timing cover?

OP
OP
Bub

Bub

Reaction score
30b5a1415535fc6fd2b328b8cd807c56.jpg

This hole?

Tony Corley

Reaction score
Yes. If you do tear it down, and want to eliminate issues in the future, tap the holes and replace the plugs with screw in pipe plugs.

RichV

Reaction score
Drill and tap the oil galley plugs?? Really?

I was an idiot and didn't put in the plug at the back of the valley, and I had no oil pressure. But I doubt these plugs would pop out, could but the probability is not that high.

OP
OP
Bub

Bub

Reaction score
Yeah its still pressed in there. Same with the rear ones. I'd imagine the ones in the cam plate I'd hear if they were missing. Like I said. Re assembling and gonna run thicker oil. 10w40 or 20w50 will cross bridge when the motor goes

RichV

Reaction score
She's probably getting sloppy. Oil have any flakes?

OP
OP
Bub

Bub

Reaction score
Very minimal in the filter when I cut it open. Nothing in the pan when I drained it tho.

Tony Corley

Reaction score
Drill and tap the oil galley plugs?? Really?

I was an idiot and didn't put in the plug at the back of the valley, and I had no oil pressure. But I doubt these plugs would pop out, could but the probability is not that high.

There is a reason Dart and World blocks come with them tapped from the manufacturer. Actually pretty standard procedure. I do it on every performance engine I build.(5-6 per year) Takes less than 10 minutes per hole, and you never have to worry about them again. You would be surprised at the number of press in plugs I have seen push out. It's cheap insurance, only takes a few minutes per hole, so why wouldn't you do it would be my question.

They can be done without drilling, just tap. The 3 behind the timing cover are done with 1/4-18 npt. The one closest to the distributor gear needs to be tapped deep enough so the plug doesnt interfere with the distributor gear and this means the tap enters the lifter bore, make sure to clear that lifter bore.

For the record, not trying to come across like a "know it all". I read these questions, and I am just offering suggestions I have gained from real world experience. My Dad owned a garage and drag raced, I owned a small chain of garages and drag race. I have just been exposed to a lot of this stuff over the years, and trying to help, if I feel I can.

kb1982

Reaction score
All the extra tapped oil holess and galleys on the dart block are nice. After I downloaded the dart oil galley instructions, it had me wondering why the previous owner went to the trouble of even drilling a hole in the oil pan for the supercharger oil return line.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UnknownArmy

Members online