Oil pressure issue.

Shawn 1980

Reaction score
Hey guys I've ran into an issue. I had pulled my motor out last year it ran fine no issues at all it has 127,000km not miles, I wanted to freshen up all gaskets, timing chains along with guides etc. Over the winter, I also put a ford performance high volume oil pump and pick up tube. Pi heads and intake, oil filter relocation kit. So we put motor back in last week it started right up no problem at all car was idling for about 5min oil pressure was at 50 to 60 psi then just dropped to 0? I took timing cover off pulled the pump check the gears in the pump all was good I didn't check the relief spring or anything in that area. Put new oil lines for relocation kit new filter manually primed pump etc turned key on I've got power in autometer gauge I've also double checked the sending unit when pressure is added gauge moves just fine. I cranked engine over no pressure just sits at 0 doesn't move at all.any help would be much appreciated. Oh I also disconnected the oil feed to the filter relocation kit and nothing comes out when I crank it over.

Thanks.

Last edited:

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Check the in vs out lines, make sure they're not mixed up. If I understand correctly, you function checked the pressure sender with compressed air and made sure the gauge was working. If that's the case, then maybe there is something wrong with the system. Did you reuse old gears with the new pump? Or was it replaced as an entire loaded unit?

OP
OP
Shawn 1980

Shawn 1980

Reaction score
Check the in vs out lines, make sure they're not mixed up. If I understand correctly, you function checked the pressure sender with compressed air and made sure the gauge was working. If that's the case, then maybe there is something wrong with the system. Did you reuse old gears with the new pump? Or was it replaced as an entire loaded unit?
I will double check the lines again, I did function test the sending unit to the gauge all seems to be operational. I replaced the pump as a new loaded unit.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
triple check all the connections between the sender and the gauge. Give a close look to be sure that maybe a pin didn't get pushed out of the harness or something to cause a bad connection.

OP
OP
Shawn 1980

Shawn 1980

Reaction score
I have checked the wiring to the gauge and the sending unit and all seems good. As mentioned if I add pressure on the sending unit it reads. I'm not seeing oil coming out of lines at the filter relocation adapter when cranking over.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
maybe cut the filter open and see if there is anything strange lookin in it? Its easier than dropping the pan

OP
OP
Shawn 1980

Shawn 1980

Reaction score
It's the second new filter I put on thought of that on the first filter and all was good in the filter.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
So you’ve pulled the lines off the filter relocation and cranked the engine or you’ve run the engine? Maybe have someone start it with the lines disconnected and see if oil shoots out. If not, you’ve got a mechanical issue in the pump or the pickup tube.

OP
OP
Shawn 1980

Shawn 1980

Reaction score
Ya I did that this morning disconnected both and cranked it over a few time and absolutely nothing comes out of the lines at all. Gonna pull the oil pan off this week and see

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Mabe something blocking inside the hoses
I take it you have a oil filter relocation kit
Check that part

Once had a friend that left a piece of plastic cap in side
No oil pasing through

OP
OP
Shawn 1980

Shawn 1980

Reaction score
Hoses are clear I made a new set just to be safe when I reinstalled the oil pump. I also blew into them to be certain they were clear. But what I just noticed was when I blew into the return you can hear gurgling in the oil pan area then few seconds after oil spews out of the Hose end where I just blew air into?

OP
OP
Shawn 1980

Shawn 1980

Reaction score
I will attempt that tomorrow. But not sure if that will change anything as I've got no oil coming out of either line when cranking it over.

OP
OP
Shawn 1980

Shawn 1980

Reaction score
I'd find it had to believe that it would be clogged up as the engine was completely drained of fluids and when reassembled i put new oil, new pump and pick up tube. But honestly I'm hoping it's something as simple as that.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
3/8" clearance to the bottom of the pan is ideal, usually.

But going by what you said, there was oil pressure for a little while and then there wasn't. And since you don't doubt the validity of your sender/gauge, it really only leaves few culprits. Such as... if you didn't give the gasket ample time to cure (assuming you used paste) before filling and running, some of it could've come right off the pan rail and right into the pickup tube screen. But damn it would have to be a lot of it to do a total stoppage of flow. Any case, I wouldn't continue to run the motor with this kind of potential concern (or concerns (the wave function hasn't yet collapsed into a single possibility)). And definitely don't run the motor with lines reversed, that's an efficient way to starve oil flow and kill all the bearings.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shawn 1980

Shawn 1980

Reaction score
There's definitely not much silicone used when assembled I only used what little dabs in the corners that where recommended and cure time was at least a week or better beforefirst start. Also if it were to be a spun bearing wouldn't there be other signs of this? When I dumped out the first filter the oil was clean and debris free. Second looks exactly the same and when we did start it for the few min there was no odd noises or rough idle etc. But obviously didn't continue to attempt to start it as not seeing oil pressure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online