Oil pressure question

gnx547

Reaction score
I added oil to the engine and I hooked up an oil pressure gauge. I made a oil pump drive tool for my drill to spin the oil drive shaft. When I spin it clockwise, the oil pressure gauge needle does not move. I spun it for almost a minute and the needle did not move. Should the needle on the gauge move right away once I spin the oil drive shaft? Or does it take mins for the gauge needle to move?

kb1982

Reaction score
You should be spinning the pump counter clockwise. Reverse your drill and give it a whirl. The distrib spins counter clockwise also. If the pump is bone dry, it can take a minute or so sometimes for it to pickup prime.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
This ^ I was about to say why were you spinning it the wrong way .

OP
OP
gnx547

gnx547

Reaction score
Opps, I thought it was clockwise..From spinning it forward could I have done damage to the pump?

kb1982

Reaction score
Ford was retarded coming from a chevy standpoint. Its cool the distrib doesnt smash into the firewall, but the reverse rotation thing and a water pump bolting to the timing chain cover is different.

kb1982

Reaction score
Opps, I thought it was clockwise..From spinning it forward could I have done damage to the pump?
All you did was blow air into the oil pan and make it blow bubbles. No harm done.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online