Oil pressure sending unit

Tattoogod

Reaction score
ok today on the highway my Stock oil pressure guage on my 95gt was going crazy...first low then high then even..almost in that order constantly..oil doesnt look burnt..its not low.Ive heard that these stock electric guages are garbage..any truth behind this...ive always used mechanical auto guage pro comps..my first experience with electric oil pressure guage..its kinda freaking me out lol..

Joe5.0

Reaction score
Yeah its the sending unit. Its located right next to the oil filter, and you'll need the special socket for it. Pretty easy to change. Go to autozone, its like a $15 part.

ryclef331

Reaction score
The stock ford gauge is CRAP. If you want to accurately know your pressure, ditch that sending unit and use that port to install an autometer. Your stock gauge will read dead but big deal...

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have a autometer oil pressure gauge with what ever comes in it in the box, it says to tap it into the current sender or somthing along those lines...any input?

ryclef331

Reaction score
Matt94GT said:
I have a autometer oil pressure gauge with what ever comes in it in the box, it says to tap it into the current sender or somthing along those lines...any input?

Some people tee off using brass unions from the parts store and run both the stocker and the autometer. I just ditched the stock one all together, and put the autometer fitting in its place.

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
yea i about shit a house when my 95 gt did the same thing. it read really low, like showing no oil pressure, checked the oil added a QT (it was a QT low) fired er up, got on it and it read good, then later in the night it went back between the N and O .....WHEW :ass3:

ryclef331

Reaction score
Matt94GT said:
yah prob better way to go?

Don't really matter. I run a mechancial gauge and those stupid ass compression fittings with a copper line. I can tell you that you can only get away with using those compression maybe once. I have a leak on the back of the gauge in the car (small drip)....right after I installed my new carpet. I fixed it and got it clean but I was livid. if you want the stock gauge to work, get the right sized unions and adapters to do it, otherwise it doesn't matter. The needle just doesn't move. I replaced the water temp and oil pressure sending units on my car for autometer. There are no CELs or ill effects from it. If you want, just tuck the stocker stuff away somewhere and you can put it back on later it you ever want to.

OP
OP
T

Tattoogod

Reaction score
update. the sending unit was only 6.50 the socket was 11.38 go figure lol.. now my oil pressure is at the "M" on normal. once i do some heavy mods on this thing ill prolly go back to my mech. gauges again.but for now im just learning all the tricks and locations of this car.once im comfy with it out comes the knife :thumb: hacksaw whatever lol.im finding myself falling asleep driving lol..its SOOOOOOOOOOOOO quiet in this thing ..i cant hear but a smalllll purr in the rear..gotta do something bout this lol...

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
haha glad to see you sorted it out...get some longtubes, offroad H, and SLPs I dont think you COULD fall asleep then.

and ryclef mine is a electrial autometer gauge not mechanical.

OP
OP
T

Tattoogod

Reaction score
withan autometer electric oil pressure guage..can you just cut the wire from the stock sensor and splice the new wire the the sensor?

ryclef331

Reaction score
I can't comment for sure but I'm pretty damn positive you can't. Are you asking if you can use the stock sending unit to signal the autometer gauge or the autometer sending unit to signal both? Are you just trying to avoid running the wires? Stock oil press gauge is garbage...its either got pressure or not. If you want to run BOTH sending units, take them both with you to the partstore and look at their assortment of brass pipe fittings. They have something that you can use to make it work. I didn't want a big clunky t-fitting hanging off the side of my motor so I just ditched the stocker all together.

OP
OP
T

Tattoogod

Reaction score
na i just want to cut the wire on the stock sendingunit.and splice the autometer guage into that wire..the stock gauge will be just for decoration ;D

Steve-Oh

Legend
Reaction score
Tattoogod said:
na i just want to cut the wire on the stock sendingunit.and splice the autometer guage into that wire..the stock gauge will be just for decoration ;D

Ok I went through a lot in trying to get my Autometer gauge to finally work. No you can't just splice into the existing oil pressure sending unit wire. You must use the new autometer sending unit in order for the gauge to read properly. This involved taking the old one out, creating a maze of brass tubing and fittings, and then finally threading on your new sending unit. Run that wire to the back of the gauge (wherever that may be). You also cannot use the new Autometer sending unit to "feed info" to you stock gauge in the cluster, for it will "peg it." Best thing to do is just hook up the new sending unit with a new wire and just let the other stock cluster gauge go.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010