Oil pump death?

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
So after some research I've read a lot about the oil pumps crapping out. My question is how many miles and anyone familiar with this issue?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
Its a crapshoot. They usually will last a good while on a stock 2V because you never will spin it super high but its never a guarantee. Stock gears are that powder metal crap and the older pump housings are inferior to the newer stuff. Its a PITA to do with the motor in the car since you have to pull the entire front of the engine off but if the motor is out for some reason its always a solid upgrade. Pretty much the most bulletproof setup you are going to get is a new 3V pump with the gears switched out for Boundary gears.

OP
OP
96laseredcobra

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
Its a crapshoot. They usually will last a good while on a stock 2V because you never will spin it super high but its never a guarantee. Stock gears are that powder metal crap and the older pump housings are inferior to the newer stuff. Its a PITA to do with the motor in the car since you have to pull the entire front of the engine off but if the motor is out for some reason its always a solid upgrade. Pretty much the most bulletproof setup you are going to get is a new 3V pump with the gears switched out for Boundary gears.
After my pi swap it is now ticking so I was thinking it needs a new oil pump

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Oil pump death will be immediately known. The oil pumps have survived years of use even with high rpm's. Although given the amount of failure in built engines, its ideal to upgrade. If you do want to replace it, it's not fun. Pulling the engine out is best and easiest way.

The ticking is more likely the lashers. A loose valve seat will sound the same way, but really not a common thing with 2v heads.

07GtS197

Reaction score
+1 on the lash adjusters. Did you get the heads used? Most likely the lash adjusters lost their prime and are full of air. Youll have to fill up the oil, warm engine, then hold the rpms at ~2k for 30 seconds to help them prime.

vermilion

Legend
Reaction score
exhaust gaskets leaking could even be. double check those. they can chirp, tick or sound like a sewing machine.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Youre good at this!

Hopefully we can get this guy squared away. I fear their may be more to this and its going to imvolve a repeat process. Good thing about repeat process? The second time gets it right! We all learn through failure, so therefore its not failure. Its education! And we always pay for our education somehow.

OP
OP
96laseredcobra

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
Youre good at this!

Hopefully we can get this guy squared away. I fear their may be more to this and its going to imvolve a repeat process. Good thing about repeat process? The second time gets it right! We all learn through failure, so therefore its not failure. Its education! And we always pay for our education somehow.
Then there's only one thing left to do. The heads were used but all new lash. New seal and machined. Thinking pass side head gasket is issue. Thanks for replies fellas

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.