OK Guys Help!!!

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Door keys and ignition keys are always different in these cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Door keys and ignition keys are always different in these cars.

I’m not sure that’s entirely accurate. My 95 GT had one key for both. NOW it has two keys since my column and doors are from the 98 GT.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I’m not sure that’s entirely accurate. My 95 GT had one key for both. NOW it has two keys since my column and doors are from the 98 GT.

In those years from the factory ford always used 2 separate keys in almost all vehicles. They didn’t start going to a mono key till later 90’s-almost 2000’s.

Lost of people had switched stuff around as there use to be kits you could order where it was all a single.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The question I have is if I cant find the Key to turn ignition, how hard is it to re key ignition.

There’s a slot under the column you stick a screwdriver in and you can get the lock cylinder out. There’s another step but I can’t remember it.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
In those years from the factory ford always used 2 separate keys in almost all vehicles. They didn’t start going to a mono key till later 90’s-almost 2000’s.

Lost of people had switched stuff around as there use to be kits you could order where it was all a single.

wrong. still have one key for my 94, same key too

OP
OP
BillG

BillG

Reaction score
All know at the moment is the key that works on the doors wont turn the ignition on and if I need to rekey the ignition then I would like to know how hard it will be. Im so close to getting this thing fired. Gonna have to replace door panels cause he screwed them in with sheetrock screws

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Mmmmmmm..........are y’all saying y’all don’t have the lockable glove box?? It doesn’t use the ignition key. It uses the key that handled the trunk and doors. This was done as a security feature with valet parking in mind. You only gave them the ignition key and they wouldn’t have access to your trunk.

My 95 still uses the 2 key setup. My 96 Bronco had the 2 key setup. My 97 f150 used the single key but that’s about the time they stopped it seems.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
All know at the moment is the key that works on the doors wont turn the ignition on and if I need to rekey the ignition then I would like to know how hard it will be. Im so close to getting this thing fired. Gonna have to replace door panels cause he screwed them in with sheetrock screws
super easy to do. Once you find that stupid itty bitty button to push underneath the console it takes 2 secs to pull the ignition cylinder out. You can even do it at the locksmith if he has time to do it while you wait. All you do it take in your door key, and the ignition cylinder(with the old key in it) to the locksmith and its a 20-30 min job to rekey the ignition cylinder.

OP
OP
BillG

BillG

Reaction score
super easy to do. Once you find that stupid itty bitty button to push underneath the console it takes 2 secs to pull the ignition cylinder out. You can even do it at the locksmith if he has time to do it while you wait. All you do it take in your door key, and the ignition cylinder(with the old key in it) to the locksmith and its a 20-30 min job to rekey the ignition cylinder.
The only problem I have at moment is the only key that can be found just opens the doors and truck which is why I'm looking to change the whole ignition key to get a new key.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
that will be your biggest problem then as to remove the cylinder you just insert the key, push the itty bitty button and then turn the key to run and pull it and the cylinder out. Can you still turn the ignition cylinder with out the key? IF that is the case you will probably need to by a new cylinder to take in with you. Not too expensive

OP
OP
BillG

BillG

Reaction score
that will be your biggest problem then as to remove the cylinder you just insert the key, push the itty bitty button and then turn the key to run and pull it and the cylinder out. Can you still turn the ignition cylinder with out the key? IF that is the case you will probably need to by a new cylinder to take in with you. Not too expensive
No Sir.... I'm unable to turn the cylinder with the key that was given cause it opens the doors or without and they are trying to find it , but if they don't I'm hoping I have options to replace without having any key at all.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
This is when you need an old school skate tool. Not saying I ever did it. Not saying how I know. Just saying they use to make a great make shift key when needed.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
So we know they have replaced the ignition key? have we tried just out of stupidity to see if somehow the steering wheel is locked and causing the ignition to lock up? It happens, try yanking the wheel to the left and right while turning the key and see what happens. Otherwise as he said with out it you will probably need to get a little rough

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
And trust me, sometimes she likes it rough. Be prepared to say bad words and don’t worry if you hurt her a little..............she enjoys tough love...........

OP
OP
BillG

BillG

Reaction score
So we know they have replaced the ignition key? have we tried just out of stupidity to see if somehow the steering wheel is locked and causing the ignition to lock up? It happens, try yanking the wheel to the left and right while turning the key and see what happens. Otherwise as he said with out it you will probably need to get a little rough

No Sir the ignition key is missing at the moment.... The only key we have is the one to open the trunk and doors with. I tried it and it would not turn and the steering wheel isn't locked and tried the turning the wheel once it wouldn't turn. Oh and trust me she has heard some ugly words and there was some rough moments when replacing the EGR tube yesterday LOL.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Tell you what, I will do you tremendous favor. I have a steering column that doesn’t have an ignition cylinder installed that I’ll send you if you just cover the shipping. It was free to me and all you’ll have to do is add a new ignition cylinder.

How does that sound?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online