OK Official Smog Pump Delete Thread

ryclef331

Reaction score
I was looking everywhere for that same pic to post here. THAT is how you route your belt without a smog pump. the belt length can vary depending on what pullies (like a blower or different underdrive setups) so you really should measure it yourself.

skidude69

Reaction score
Yea, the belts can vary from car to car, the part numbers are simple 895K6 is a 89.5" Ford (k6) belt, the alternative import (metric) part number on the front or belt is the length in milimeters.

OP
OP

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
thanks guys, well the selete pulley should be here tomm. so im going to read up on that how to one more time, go buy some bolts and get to town and hopefully i will have it done by the time the delete pulley gets here.

sorry i just didnt want to deal with trying to find the right size belt.it was hell rying to find one after i went to a smaller pulley.

Kornnut

Reaction score
What is the belt length with stock pulleys and no ac or smog?

Sn95Willis

Reaction score
Ok the 2 bolts that are on the back of the heads?? My buddy just blocked off a hose that looks like it connects o a tube from the back of the pass head... Is that good enough or do i need to remove it and plug both hole???

Willis

Brian95GT

Reaction score
white94gt said:
Ok the 2 bolts that are on the back of the heads?? My buddy just blocked off a hose that looks like it connects o a tube from the back of the pass head... Is that good enough or do i need to remove it and plug both hole???

Willis

You can do this, and removing the smog pump has more benefits than originally thought to be. There is the miniscual weight savings, even less with a delete pulley, nevertheless, there are pounds off the car. The next benefit would be easier sparkplug access. Without all the tubes, it makes a sparkplug job around 20 min. If you have your smog pump hooked to an off road pipe, it can cause "popping" when letting off the gas. I had this problem with the popping and just bypassed the pump. Then there is the possible seizing issue. As 94twinscrew about that. ;D

Now, I have the pump deleted and the two holes at the back of the heads plugged with some bolts and RTV. I have long tubes with the EGR deleted, the smog pump deleted and I still passed emissions with a modified stock cat pipe.

Sn95Willis

Reaction score
So do i need to block off both holes behind the heads or the hose being blocked off good enough..

Willis

Brian95GT

Reaction score
white94gt said:
So do i need to block off both holes behind the heads or the hose being blocked off good enough..

Willis

The way I would do it would be to eliminate all the hoses and plug the holes with the bolts. I honestly don't know the size of the bolts, but I know one of the accessory bracket bolts goes into the front side of the head. You can use that as a reference. As long as the bolt is about 1" long and has a good sized head on it w/ some RTV you will be fine.

94twinscrew

Reaction score
Brian95GT said:
white94gt said:

Willis

I had this problem with the popping and just bypassed the pump. Then there is the possible seizing issue. Ask 94twinscrew about that. ;D

Ya,that sucked :puke:.....thank god it wasn't during a pull at the pike(that would've been laughable) :nonono:

Suspect

Reaction score
Brian95GT said:
white94gt said:

Willis

You can do this, and removing the smog pump has more benefits than originally thought to be. There is the miniscual weight savings, even less with a delete pulley, nevertheless, there are pounds off the car. The next benefit would be easier sparkplug access. Without all the tubes, it makes a sparkplug job around 20 min. If you have your smog pump hooked to an off road pipe, it can cause "popping" when letting off the gas. I had this problem with the popping and just bypassed the pump. Then there is the possible seizing issue. As 94twinscrew about that. ;D

Now, I have the pump deleted and the two holes at the back of the heads plugged with some bolts and RTV. I have long tubes with the EGR deleted, the smog pump deleted and I still passed emissions with a modified stock cat pipe.

so u passed with no pump?! see my tube isnt connected to my headers and under the car isnt either and i pass. i wanna take mine off, but scared of not passing. what did u do to ur mid pipe? just hollow out the cats? what state?

Brian95GT

Reaction score
Suspect said:
Brian95GT said:
white94gt said:

Willis

so u passed with no pump?! see my tube isnt connected to my headers and under the car isnt either and i pass. i wanna take mine off, but scared of not passing. what did u do to ur mid pipe? just hollow out the cats? what state?

Sorry about not getting back sooner, I had troubles with the internet. I am in CT, which is pretty strict, but they did not check for EGR or smog pump presence. They just strapped it on the rollers. What I did to my stock h-pipe was I cut it into a shorty pipe. The welds look like crap and probably leak, but they work. It took a little while with fabbing it - on - off - cut - weld - on - off - cut...About 2-3 hours work time for testing once every two years.

My situation is not the same as yours though. I have a SCT tune in the car which really pushes the CO levels. In CT the limit is 60 and I barely passed with a 59. :noes: The NO was fine, and so was the other one - don't remember. This year I will take it easy with 87 octane, not 93, and throw some dry gas in the car. When I passed, I just changed pipes, drove the car around for a bit, and went.

Maniak87

Reaction score
white94gt said:

Willis

i am going to do the same thing as you for the time being. to lazy to figure out the right bolts and such :lol:

been busy with the s-trim install and i want to make sure that is perfect before i mess with the bolts in the back of the heads.

95-stang

Reaction score
Here's a bit more research, after fitting a smog pump delete pulley, i then had time to start measuring belts to delete [you guessed it] the smog pump delete pulley.
I finally got round to the best belt, getting rid of the most pulleys, and still having it run , and the belt staying good and taught, not having the tensioner at its limit , i used a 88.5 inch belt DAYCO 5060885 or ARMOUR MARK 885K6.
This gets rid of the idler pulley as well but leaves the A\C connected, handy if you get warm weather. O0
2007_0105Image0003.jpg

2007_0105Image0002.jpg

2007_0105Image0004.jpg

And yes, i know i've still got a few bits that need cleaning. :)

Schiffy

Reaction score
I re-routed my belt to delete my AC and my smog pump... the smog pump pulley was squeaking really bad, so i said screw it. then the Ac started leaking freon, or coolant, or whatever you call it... so i said screw that too, and i re routed around it. i've got duty today, so I won't be home till tomorrow morning, otherwise i would post a picture of the rerouting of the belt with the ac, and without the ac... it's on my laptop at the house... i'll check this thread tomorrow and see if anybody's still needing it.

95-stang

Reaction score
Please do, any belt sizes are particularly helpful. :)

BOS-94-003

Reaction score
Is it tomorrow yet? Id like those belt sizes too. My smog pump is taking a crap and im going to delete it along with the A/C pump. Was hoping u had a belt size for starting off.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I did the delete on my car, i found that measuring around the pulleys with a piece of string with the belt tensioner in all the way, in as in releaving belt tension, the belt you need is 1" longer than the string. So far no problems here... The whole shortbelt thing went smoother than i expected.

Maximum95

Reaction score
I was going for a different solution to the holes in the back of the heads. My plan was to use the blocks that bolt back there, use my grinder to cut the pipes off of them, and then flip them over and put them on opposite sides. Boom, like a machined block off plate.

Addermk2

Reaction score
Maximum95 said:
I was going for a different solution to the holes in the back of the heads. My plan was to use the blocks that bolt back there, use my grinder to cut the pipes off of them, and then flip them over and put them on opposite sides. Boom, like a machined block off plate.

been there, done that... old news

NEXT!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online