Ok this may sound stupid, but I was wondering...

Werecow

Reaction score
So, I was wondering, and I know there's a reason,or maybe not?? I've seen on Chrysler and Dodge cars that have larger engines (hemi's... 440's) installed with the engine, tranny, front suspension and k-member all as one assembly from the bottom of the car, and then bolted in.. I do realize that this also usually entails having a lift for the car to set it down on the k assembly, but my question is this... Is there a reason why this couldn't be done on one of our cars with a k-member front clip? It just seems like it would make it easier to install something like a coyote,which by the way is the is the widest V-8 used in a mustang besides a sohc 427, or installing a big block, which I know the tranny bolts are a pain to get to on that install.. I mean it would really simplify the installation of either one or even a 4.6 dohc w headers would make that install a lot easier if it could be done.. I mean I've not tried it so I don't know what the stumbling blocks are, but I'm just tossing it out to see if anyone thinks it could be done.. Anyhoooo cheers!!

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So, I was wondering, and I know there's a reason,or maybe not?? I've seen on Chrysler and Dodge cars that have larger engines (hemi's... 440's) installed with the engine, tranny, front suspension and k-member all as one assembly from the bottom of the car, and then bolted in.. I do realize that this also usually entails having a lift for the car to set it down on the k assembly, but my question is this... Is there a reason why this couldn't be done on one of our cars with a k-member front clip? It just seems like it would make it easier to install something like a coyote,which by the way is the is the widest V-8 used in a mustang besides a sohc 427, or installing a big block, which I know the tranny bolts are a pain to get to on that install.. I mean it would really simplify the installation of either one or even a 4.6 dohc w headers would make that install a lot easier if it could be done.. I mean I've not tried it so I don't know what the stumbling blocks are, but I'm just tossing it out to see if anyone thinks it could be done.. Anyhoooo cheers!!

A large majority of the mod guys do drop the k and everything. You can do it with pushrods but they come out from the top just as easily so that is what most do. It’s really a preference at that point, and having either a lift or pulley system to lift the body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I hate dropping a k member
But if I had to i would just replace it with a tubular type
I have been lucky on my mach and cobra
4.6 dohc engine coming out from the top

On my 460 in my 92 fox body
I still dropped it in the top with c6 transmission and full headers

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Dropping the k member makes it a breeze. That’s my go to method now. I used to pull them all through the top (coyote will go through the top also), after pulling the k member a couple times, if I need to change the oil I’m pulling the k member lol.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yea its funny the first time you see it done with a cherry picker as it looks a little crazy with it holding the front of the car up but then when you think about it you feel a little silly doing it the other way.

apsmith49921

Reaction score
I really wish I would have thought about this. I tried to cram my dohc with long tubes and 4r70w through the top. Long story short... bench pressed the trans lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

PinkieT

Reaction score
Got a PI intake and head swap plus shorty header install planned for this winter. Looks like that might be the best way to do it - take the motor and K frame out, do it in the work, then stab it back in.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Got a PI intake and head swap plus shorty header install planned for this winter. Looks like that might be the best way to do it - take the motor and K frame out, do it in the work, then stab it back in.

Just mark the k-member and the subframe so you can put it exactly where it was before.

OP
OP
Werecow

Werecow

Reaction score
Aight... I'm getting some good info here.... I'm gnna be replacing my k-member anyhoo, so, I'm thinking my best route would be drop/pull old mess out when I get ready for all this... Put in new k-member, align it, mark it/drill holes to make sure it goes back in true, pull it back out, assemble front suspension, engine, headers, tranny on k-member.. Then drop body back down on assembly since I'll already have my alignment marks there? Sound about right??

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Aight... I'm getting some good info here.... I'm gnna be replacing my k-member anyhoo, so, I'm thinking my best route would be drop/pull old mess out when I get ready for all this... Put in new k-member, align it, mark it/drill holes to make sure it goes back in true, pull it back out, assemble front suspension, engine, headers, tranny on k-member.. Then drop body back down on assembly since I'll already have my alignment marks there? Sound about right??
Ya if your doing a swap i would chang it
Make it look clean

OP
OP
Werecow

Werecow

Reaction score
Idk if you've seen the state of my k-member right now...IMG_20201001_171727660.jpg
And from the back side... IMG_20201001_171648397.jpg

So yeh, it's not just a matter of cleaning it up for a swap.. I feel at this point it's kinda a safety thing... I mean it may be perfectly fine, but a heavy as this engine is, that's a lot of weight on a k-member that's been cut in like this.. I'll get it running and start working on the rest of it in preparation for an upgrade, but I don't think I'm gnna be spending anything on what's under the hood other than having it running for ease of working on it..

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Idk if you've seen the state of my k-member right now...View attachment 6937
And from the back side... View attachment 6938

So yeh, it's not just a matter of cleaning it up for a swap.. I feel at this point it's kinda a safety thing... I mean it may be perfectly fine, but a heavy as this engine is, that's a lot of weight on a k-member that's been cut in like this.. I'll get it running and start working on the rest of it in preparation for an upgrade, but I don't think I'm gnna be spending anything on what's under the hood other than having it running for ease of working on it..
Time to change it

OP
OP
Werecow

Werecow

Reaction score
Yeahhhhhhhhh...... That's the plan!!! I didn't know it was that bad till Wednesday? Thursday? Can't remember been asleep since then, but that was the first time I saw that...

Connie

Reaction score
In the picture, that looked easy. Was it tough disconnecting the Transmission Bellhousing from below? And hard getting to the Top Starter Bolt? I never had to change out the Starter on either one of our Mustangs. But, I hear the top bolt is a bear. I still do have some specialty tools, elbows and extensions, and Swivel Ratchet. That might make it easier to get to.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Members online