Ok well I need new balljoints (Get Cobra A-Arms?, what about a bumpsteer kit?)

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well I need new balljoints since mine are now squeaking. Since I am broke as hell right now and saving for travelling is there anyway to grease my stockers so they stop squeaking??? That would be great untill I can afford a nice setup.

Anyways I have heard of ppl puttin in Cobra A-Arms...whats the advantage to this? If I run the cobra A-arms are the balljoints that come with them suffiecent or should I get aftermarket ones? I run coil-overs btw. I also know MM makes a set that are designed for the coil-overs but as I said above money is real tight for me right now...

Anyways at the same time as balljoints should I put in a bumpsteer kit/new tie-rod ends? Anyone have a brand specific that they really like for balljoints & bumpsteer kit/tie rod ends?

But like I said at the very top im really tight on funds, is there a cheap fix for this temporarily?

Thanks

Downshift

Reaction score
Advantages I have heard of running the cobra A arms (talking about the 03-04 ones right?) Are better clearance for tires and such and they are lighter. I cant remember where I heard that and i could be completely wrong I will try and find where I read that. Anyone else back that up? :hammer:

MAXX RS4

Reaction score
Re: Ok well I need new balljoints (Get Cobra A-Arms?, what about a bumpsteer kit

I cant help you much but I'm interested as well. Mine have been squeaking for about 2 months now..

I just spray some lithium grease in there about every 2-3 weeks and it's fine. I just pray that they dont end up snapping on me while going down the road :noes:

OP
OP
Matt94GT

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
yeah you just poke a small hole in the rubber boot? I was thinking of using that straw thing that comes with WD40 but I know WD40 its self isnt the best idea, does lithuim grease come in a aresol can?

MAXX RS4

Reaction score
Re: Ok well I need new balljoints (Get Cobra A-Arms?, what about a bumpsteer kit

Matt94GT said:
yeah you just poke a small hole in the rubber boot? I was thinking of using that straw thing that comes with WD40 but I know WD40 its self isnt the best idea, does lithuim grease come in a aresol can?

I didn't poke a hole in the boot.. There was a hole already there for me! :rollinglaugh: The white lithium grease does come in aerosol, but you have to make sure you REALLY shake that shit. It comes out foamy and somewhat messy - even with the straw.. Just dont get it everywhere and it'll be fine. It last a long time too.

MAXX RS4

Reaction score

Matt94GT said:
lol yah I just dont want moisture or water to get in there thats why I wanna poke a small hole in the boot and use the straw.

Have you poked a hole yet? Mine started squeaking horribly today and I went to spray it some more and something strange happened. Turns out that hte boot wasn't torn, it was just pulled down out of its place and crunched up. It was so gunked up with crap that I thought it was just torn to hell. Now I don't have any access inside the boot to spray it down.

If you poked the hole, what did you use to do it? ANd to seal it you're just gonna use silicone paste stuff?

Cobra456hp

Reaction score
I have them. got them from summit for like $165 I think. The casting was just like my 94 C/A's except where my originals had a peice of steel that my rims (9.5's with 275's) would scrub. these did not and the bushing are supposed to be 50% stiffer. aside from that they were the same and were cheaper / less hassle than getting new bushings and steeda balljoints. oh yeah that peice of steel I was talking about I cut off my old CA's a long time ago

OP
OP
Matt94GT

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
MAXX RS4 said:
Matt94GT said:
lol yah I just dont want moisture or water to get in there thats why I wanna poke a small hole in the boot and use the straw.

Have you poked a hole yet? Mine started squeaking horribly today and I went to spray it some more and something strange happened. Turns out that hte boot wasn't torn, it was just pulled down out of its place and crunched up. It was so gunked up with crap that I thought it was just torn to hell. Now I don't have any access inside the boot to spray it down.

If you poked the hole, what did you use to do it? ANd to seal it you're just gonna use silicone paste stuff?

WELL...I poked a small hole in the boot with a nail, got a can of lithium grease with the straw, injected it in, got in the car turned wheel, still squeaky. So I got a buddy to turn the wheel while I pumped it full of grease till it was shooting out and getting me in the eyes. Works great now. I just gotta get some silicone next time im out and go over the hole that I made. Give it a shot if your getting a squeak. Althought I just concider this a 'band-aid' to the problem.

MAXX RS4

Reaction score

SO I poked a small hole and squeazed the straw in there. I ran out of lithium grease so I had to use wd40. After filling it and seeing the boot swell with pressure, I was ready to pull the straw out. As I was removing it, the straw came out of the can and stayed inside the boot. Long story short, all the pressure reversed itself and it shot that shit right into my eyes and all over my face and hair. Anyway, I did this saturday morning. Last night (sunday) as I was driving home from work - THE SOUND CAME BACK! God damn this sucks! Hopefully Lithium will last longer.

But, I gotta say.. WD40 doesn't taste bad and it doesn't burn your eyes. It did however give me extremely cloudy vision :hammer:

OP
OP
Matt94GT

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah thats what it did to me excatlly but I kept repeating that process while someone turned the wheel 100% left, center, 100% right with the lithium grease.

MAXX RS4

Reaction score

Matt94GT said:
Yeah thats what it did to me excatlly but I kept repeating that process while someone turned the wheel 100% left, center, 100% right with the lithium grease.

I just repeated this with lithium but no one's home to turn the wheel for me.. I just filled it up, turned the wheels back and forth a bunch of times, and repeated everything like 2 more times.. I hope it lasts.

The small hole I poked has already progressed to a slight tear, however. I gotta seal it back up with something before it gets too bad.

MAXX RS4

Reaction score

So, I've been talking about my outer tie rod ends this whole time, not the ball joint :hammer:

Well, the squeak came back after only 2 hours. :lame:

So, Im about to purchase two new ones and replace them on both sides..

If I mark off where the ones I have now are screwed to, and then screw the new ones into the same spot, should I need a realignment?

OP
OP
Matt94GT

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

Ok well your gonna laugh at me...I dont think the ball joints were ever the cause of the squeaking, I think it was the outer-tie-rod-ends as well...DOES THIS MAKE SENCE?

I greased the ball joints (in the a-arm's, poked a hole in the boot) then remember it was still squeaking so I went back underneith again and got a buddy to turn the wheel while I injected more lithium grease, I remember I couldnt find the hole so I poked a new one (BUT NOT IN THE BALL JOINT BOOT, I was looking at a diffrent boot...dont ask what I was smoking) I did it in the boot thats at the very end of the tie rod end at the top. I dont know how I got mixed up but either way THATS WHAT DID IT, stopped the squeaking. It wasnt the balljoints in the long run, it was the outer-tie-rod ends that were squeaking!!!

Now my question is what should I replace here, my tie-rod ends? Should I get 03' Cobra A-Arms as well...good idea? What about bushings while im in that area...wanna make a list here of what I should buy.

Keep in mind I have coil-overs in the front so its pretty slammed like 2+".

THANKS!

MAXX RS4

Reaction score

Matt94GT said:
Ok well your gonna laugh at me...I dont think the ball joints were ever the cause of the squeaking, I think it was the outer-tie-rod-ends as well...DOES THIS MAKE SENCE?

I greased the ball joints (in the a-arm's, poked a hole in the boot) then remember it was still squeaking so I went back underneith again and got a buddy to turn the wheel while I injected more lithium grease, I remember I couldnt find the hole so I poked a new one (BUT NOT IN THE BALL JOINT BOOT, I was looking at a diffrent boot...dont ask what I was smoking) I did it in the boot thats at the very end of the tie rod end at the top. I dont know how I got mixed up but either way THATS WHAT DID IT, stopped the squeaking. It wasnt the balljoints in the long run, it was the outer-tie-rod ends that were squeaking!!!

Now my question is what should I replace here, my tie-rod ends? Should I get 03' Cobra A-Arms as well...good idea? What about bushings while im in that area...wanna make a list here of what I should buy.

THANKS!

Holy shit man, me and you did the same exact thing. I'm slightly embarassed but who cares..

I'm ordering some tie rod ends and not bothering with the a arms.. There's nothing wrong with mine.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
LoL you lucked out. it must have been the force. "this isn't the rubber boot you're looking for, move along" lol

I'd get a bumpsteer, that will replace the rod ends, and get rid of the bumpsteer you probably have from being lowered.
I got the steeda's but MM makes them too as you know.

OP
OP
Matt94GT

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
MAXX RS4 said:
Matt94GT said:

THANKS!

Holy shit man, me and you did the same exact thing. I'm slightly embarassed but who cares..

I'm ordering some tie rod ends and not bothering with the a arms.. There's nothing wrong with mine.

bahahaha....awesome that is weird.

But now im worried about the hole and grease I injected into the ball-joints. Mabye ill save up and get Cobra A-Arms then the MM bumpsteer kit...good idea or waste of money? Id rather do both at the same time since it would make it easier would it not?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online