Okay, so what do you guys think?

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
So, on march 10, I will be dropping my car off at Outrageous Mustangs to get my Vortech SQ Trim mongoose kit installed. I currently have a full bolt on, auto, 1997 GT. My goal for this car is to get as close as possible to 400rwhp. My tuner told me with just the kit installed he would guess that id be in the 300-310rwhp range. Now, my original plans for the car were to get a PI Intake Manifold swap, Paxton A/A intercooler, Mini Race bpv, Stall, and custom grind blower cams. I thought that would have gotten me my goals. As i talked to my tuner, he said the most restricting piece in my car is the heads, and that he did not think JUST swapping the intake would do much and that I should look into some type of heads( they weren't PI, so they won't raise compression)...i was just checking to see if anybody would have any input as to which route i should take to reach me my goals? Do you think my route would get me to where I want to be??

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
He must of been talking about the FRPP/SVO heads...they are the best 2V heads but expensive....then you get the matching intake and make big power.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
two questions though...1)will they bump my compression? 2) If i was to do the frpp svo heads/matching intake, would i still be able to do the intercooler and cams or would i not have room considering i would already max out my stock block?? Also, any idea of price on this kit? And would you consider doing it knowing my goals and considering i have a stock bottom end? Basically just seeing if you would suggest doing my original route or the cobra heads/intake swap?

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
CR Ratio would be the same...they have the same combustion chamber size as NPI, the heads cost about $1500 and thats about what the intake costs also....not cheap at all

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
wow, extremely expensive i see...i would honestly rather stick to my route...fairly simple parts that i feel will make me happy. Think it would reah me my goals?

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
yeah i have a MPH boost pipe getting installed with the blower...and if i intercool it and have the room i might possibly run a one size smaller pulley to get the boost back up another lb, so all in all ill be running 10 lbs

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
blown97stanger said:
As i talked to my tuner, he said the most restricting piece in my car is the heads, and that he did not think JUST swapping the intake would do much and that I should look into some type of heads
Exactly. Headswap that sucker!
I'd be supprised if you dont' get 400 with it and your mongoose.

the compression does go up, but under 10 psi, any good tuner will be able to tune it just fine.
or you can get that Cometic head gasket to lower the compression a bit.

You'll love it. My cousin has a V2SQ on his 98, and just did the headswap.
He loves the power gain. He lowered the boost - and says it feels much better. he was at 9 and now runs at 5.
He's in the middle of getting a new clutch and new rear tires and plans on upping the psi a bit.

Sure High compression has issues with high PSI, but the boost and power levels your looking at, it's not that big of a deal.

good luck.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Thanks a lot!! I'll be posting up some dyno sheets soon!

Pennywise2

Reaction score
If I were you I would just have your Vortech SQ Trim mongoose kit
installed and be happy with your new found power.Your car will run just
fine on Tims' tune so,you don't need a dyno tune.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Because of my year car Tim was unable to send me a tune with the xcal, so he just sent me a blank. MPH currently has NO files of sn95's, so i definately will need one. This is just some advice for other sn95 (96-98) that wanted to buy a mongoose kit, it DOES NOT come with a tune!!

S

scarface

I think you will be fine with your goal with the mods you said....but what do I know ???

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
scarface said:
I think you will be fine with your goal with the mods you said....but what do I know ???

ya, what do you know about mods ;)

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
i think so too, and i know we talked about this a million times and im sorry lol. Its just that my tuner caught my surprise by saying i should go a different route...So i guess we can say what do scarface and professional mustang shops know about modular motors :hammer:

ripper

Reaction score
You went with the best tuner in nj. Hmmmm march 8th huh? Ill be there. Mike is doing the tune right? He always underestimates your hp man. I dont know why but he does. You will get 400 easy. See you then.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
March 10th I'm dropping the car off, yeah and Mike is doing it

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
just stick with your plan...later on you can always make changes as you need to...like some ported heads and forged shortblock.

Whistler98

Reaction score
can't wait to hear the new #'s? you will love the power gain compared to your baseline #'s and no matter what you will always want more power. Not at first but later on you will want even more. I remember after my p1sc install I was like dammmn I won't need anymore power than this. lol a year latter my car feels slow I need more hp lol will it ever end.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online