Old Car Insurance?

Gelsomini

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just have a question. I don't plan on dumping my cobra soon but would like to maybe get a 71-73
mustang within the near future. I'm just curious to know how classic insurance works on older cars such as hagerty or other companies. For the low couple hundred bucks you pay a year do you always have limits on how much the car can be driven. I understand they basically value your car at nothing which I don't mind but I wouldn't wanna be limited to having only be able to drive say 3000 miles a year. Anyone with any experience with this please give me some answers, thanks!

dg1

Reaction score
My dad does insurance and he always uses haverty insurance for older cars. Seems to have great coverage and great price on older cars

OP
OP
Gelsomini

Gelsomini

Reaction score
My dad does insurance and he always uses haverty insurance for older cars. Seems to have great coverage and great price on older cars

Do you know if he can drive his car on a daily basis or no?

Barner1

Reaction score
I had a neighbor in the past who had "classic car insurance" (not sure through who) on his '63 Chevy & he said he could only put 900 miles a year on it.

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
All of your bigger name classic insurance companies have a restriction on mileage as far as I'm aware. (Grundy, Haggerty, American Collectors) And most of them have a stated amount policy, meaning that your premium will be determined based on what you value the car. You will have to send in pictures of your vehicle and provide modification lists/receipts so that it makes sense

joekd

Reaction score
I have had Grundy for years now and love them, no mileage or use restrictions, just cannot be you "daily driver" it must be your 2nd car

miss.mod.50

Reaction score
All of your bigger name classic insurance companies have a restriction on mileage as far as I'm aware. (Grundy, Haggerty, American Collectors) And most of them have a stated amount policy, meaning that your premium will be determined based on what you value the car. You will have to send in pictures of your vehicle and provide modification lists/receipts so that it makes sense

This. I have this type insurance on my 97 cobra due to the stuff I've put into it vs value typical insurance companies put on it. You give them the 'declared value'. We even have this type insurance on our full tube chassis race cars (Just wont cover you ON the racetrack obviously). I believe my cobra is through Hagery and our race cars are though American Modern. Read the fine details and I suggest going through a local agent for something like this, they can search/weed out restrictions you dont want and thats why we have different companies for different cars.

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Def go to a local agent that deals with multiple providers to get the best deal for what you want. I was talking about this to a guy I work with who owns a insurance agency with his dad about the best way to get a deal for insurance on my 67 and he was saying the best thing to do is figure out exactly what you want, how much you think the car is worth, and let the agent call around and get you the best deal because there's a good bit of small options that can vary between providers, that's my plan once I get my car done.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ccrider

Members online