OLD FARTS "It never ends"

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Feels good to have a solid setup, regardless of output power. Its nice to just drive the car. Glad its running strong!

I gotta ask
Are you going to weld the doors shut?

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'm 6-4 and 250 pounds, I can barely get in this little squink of a car right now with out racing seats bolted to the floor with no seat rails. I back into the seat and twist in place so I need opening doors.

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
SUPRIZE!!! I get home to this...
IMG_1450-D.jpg

Trick Flow comes through on a new set of replacement heads, which I do not need. I will put them on the WAP engine I have for sale.
IMG_1451-D.jpg

They sure are nice but my nPI motor is tight and right so someone is going to get a nice set of new heads.

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
My iron nPI build is making more power than the same build in my WAP set up because the CR has been upped to 14.7 from the nPI heads at 34cc chambers. The WAP build has the forged pistons with valve reliefs so it could handle a BIG cam with the TF heads or FI fun.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Uhm.....no. its mo powa cause of npi heads!...lol. Really tho, npi heads are tridents!

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Aluminum WAP Dream Engine is SOLD,SOLD,SOLD. I had a friend I get free firewood from come by with his stump grinder for me to repair and he is building a '63 Galaxy and wants the WAP but I have to set it up for a carburetor?

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Vid of Bullett Cams 250 duration barbie cam.
[video=youtube_share;TOCUsF50Um8]https://youtu.be/TOCUsF50Um8[/video]

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So i'm tooling down the road doing 199 and the little battery light starts to flicker, DANG, ruined my reliability study. Alternator is failing. I have a big blue Optima battery and I should make it home. I have been doing larger and farther circles away from home to break in this engine, I make it. I scavenge the g3 regulator off my original '96 alternator and put it on the new on from NAPA I am running, and it works fine but the brushes are getting short so I order a new G3 regulator from Performance Automatic and I hope they are good because OEM Ford types are rare now and they are worth scavenging when you are in the junkyards. My alternator connection plug is shot and the little exciter wire is cracking so I got new connectors and wires soldered in for more happy miles. I did a compression check and I am at 250 in all cylinders with the nPI heads, that is low for 14.7:1 CR so I will do it again later to see if the rings seat better, Wednesday I am back on the dyno to get some more numbers, stay tuned...

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_0942-D.jpg

I made 256 RWHP and 262 RWT. The curves are smoother and straighter now and the timing is back up to 28 degreese with the nPI heads so it is more responsive compared to the Trick Flow heads. The TF heads made 287 RWHP so more power with less timing but less snap.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
28° timing with that much compression and not a whole lot of cam? That’s awesome. You wouldn’t happen to have a picture or have access to your timing map, would you?

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
No, I did not think to get one. The CC measuring says I am at 14.7 on the CR but the compression check came in at 250 so the 9 degreese of extra advance on the exhaust lobe is bringing actual CR down to 13. What CR are you at with 250 static?
I am coming in at 307 HP at the crank so that is right where I thought I would be with this cam. I am running a 73mm TB , should I go bigger?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Something aint right. You should be near 300rwhp!

Do a run down parts list for me.

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well.. The Trick Flow heads came in at 287, and I thought that was low but McNews had 5 other TF engines in the dyno library and they made 10 more HP with much bigger cams so jumping from a PI cam to something bigger was worth some but.. I am disappointed in my nPI heads with 180cc ports, big valves, welded chambers CC'ed at 34-35, flat top pistons at -.004 deck, .036 gasket I agree HP is low compared to some of my compression checks I have listed. At a math answer coming in at 14.7 CR I should have pressures at 290psi. So I do not know, the dyno boys said this is the smoothest of my engines so far and I agree, I am happy with the chart I posted, smooth straight lines, I like the cam, sounds much nastier than it is, nice lope. So everyone join in here with thoughts, there is nothing wrong with this engine except the math doesn't match the dyno and I was hoping the HP would be closer to the TF heads for all the time and money I spent. The dyno boys had many TF dyno pulls and the 5 engines closest to mine were in the 295-310 HP range all with at least a Comp 260 cam.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online