OLD FARTS "It never ends"

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
My Marauder came stock with the 32 valve Intek motor and it made the same numbers I have now 305 at the crank, 255 RWHP. Everyone at the time was trying to get up to 305 RWHP and it was hard to do, took every trick in the Ford Modular book and the tuner did 150 pulls on his car to get there, what a PITA. I did drive that car and it was the way Ford should have done those cars, plus fire the chick in charge that FUBARed the program. Now you know why I did a Vortech Terminator and a full house Roots Terminator engine. You really got to squeeze hard with only 281 CID to make them drive nice and that was what I was after. On my chart I am making 250 RWT down low and that is the same I had on my Cobra engines, the Vortech was nuts... get to 3500 RPM and it made torque NOW. The Roots Eaton engine I set up for max torque down low and ended up with a 2000 stall convertor and 3.23 gears because it had so much torque, the G force pushing you into the seat was a rush. This is why I like the 347 set ups, lots of cheap parts, easy design.

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking at dyno pulls from different set ups I have done and the Ford PI intake manifold is making more torque by far but is all done by 5000 RPM. I should use the Trick Flow heads with the PI intake and see if Shelby wants to sell his cams?

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
They want to do a total swap into a Galaxie and they work to much as tree guys, and with this storm right now they are going to be busy for weeks I got time to do my stuff right now. They missed last weeks Crown Vic for 1.00, They need to come up with a car for parts first before I can see what do do for them, the good part is they make $$$.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Hmmm, then Im wondering if bolting the trick flow heads to it and getting the tune adjusted would make a noticeable difference. I remember some tuner guys a while back saying that trick flow heads wanted more timing in the mid range area than the pi heads.

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Just ordered a new set of cams from Bullet,270/276 @.570 lift.
The cams and the TF heads made 287/290 at 5700 RPM the previous time I was on the dyno so new cams will wake up this engine but CR will drop to 13.5 so I will let you know what the static pressure comes in at. Hey 10 engine builds, no problem. I need a slave.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Just ordered a new set of cams from Bullet,270/276 @.570 lift.
The cams and the TF heads made 287/290 at 5700 RPM the previous time I was on the dyno so new cams will wake up this engine but CR will drop to 13.5 so I will let you know what the static pressure comes in at. Hey 10 engine builds, no problem. I need a slave.

Did you order the tfs grind cams? If youre pulling the engine out of the car to do the head swap, you definitely need a slave.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Oh yeah, those are going to be awesome. You get the exhaust valve opening delayed any? Gary is hard up for getting us to delay the exhaust until 10 degrees abdc.

Im excited to see what this setup will get you.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Back before roller cams were readily available, drag racers applied all types of techniques to the cams and valve train for that extra edge. Hand stoning the exhaust opening ramp was one of them.

You take a naturally aspirated engine combo and supercharge it. Same cam, same valve events, but the s/c engine will have a different blow down and will need more. Basically cracking the exhaust open sooner allow time for exhaust decompression. Exhaust and intake valve size ratio and exhaust port flow are factors as well.

Since we are naturally aspirated and our valve ratios play very well together, the exhaust port flow is super, delay the exhaust opening late as possible. Long rod, long stroke like our engines have play VERY well with delayed exhaust. I dont remember the exact degree of crank angle to piston speed for a 4.6l, but iirc its over 10° from the top or bottom. Opening the exhaust 10° before the bottom means 20° of dead timing to decompress otherwise known as blow down.

Now something like a pushrod 302 with short rod, short stroke, and giant 4" pistons,....the blow down opening will need to be longer, meaning exhaust valve opening sooner...more duration. No dead crank angle space like a long rod, long stroke.

This is one of those engine aspects that have to be explored rather than buying it. Each and every combo is different.

Silver95bird

Reaction score
It's interesting to see each theory play out. Can't wait to see your results.

Lsa settings, and ICL settings have been played with pretty extensively, but not the exhaust side.

Can't say I paid it much attention, or even what the factory/popular aftermarket cams are usually at.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Understanding how the modular valve train plays out is a real hoot. Unlike any other pushrod valve train.

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Bullet Cams will spend the time with you. I talked to Trick Flow and they were lame, the advertising says that they can handle more lift and duration but they will not give any limits so you look at their smallest cam and you must check for piston crunch? Yes people do stupid stuff on parts but when they have .580 lift cams as normal some guide lines like this cam will use a flat top piston to xxx deck height with our heads would be nice.

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well the cams got here today in the snowmageddon going on, my UPS guy Santa comes through. First order to do is see if they fit at .570 of lift. I did a clay VtoP check 3 times and they clear flat top pistons by .005 with a .000 deck and no head gasket. Tomorrow I will check the exhaust valve clearance.

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I damaged the iron block and took out a piston racing a Porsche. Got the WAP engine back from my Dos Amigos and finished putting it together today so..

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I was cleaning out the oil cooler with some 0-20 Mobile1 to get rid of old milkshake oil when a Porsche Panamerica GTS jumped me. I was doing 60 out on US 29 when he ran up my ass so I dropped a gear and the hammer...could not catch up to me. The piston skirt surface is really rough and the cylinder is scored. The oil was too thin to stand 14.7CR, and I have no idea what the RPM or MPH were. Do stupid stuff, win stupid prizes.

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The WAP TF engine will come in at 10.7CR down from 14.7CR what do you think the resulting HP loss will be?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online