Old gas from a project long 8n the tooth.

Notthenow

Reaction score
Soooo, put car up on jack stands in October 2020. I thought I could have it running by January the latest. Here it is August and I am still a few weeks away if all goes well. It never occurred to me to stabilize the gas..... New injectors and sparkling clean heads and intake. Thoughts on the condition of the fuel and steps to take?

Thanks,
Mike

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
what does it taste like? If it has a sweet taste then it is bad if its a sour/hot then your fine.

I would say better safe than sorry myself.

OP
OP
N

Notthenow

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I figured the same. Seriously toccs, I gave up tasting gas since you could actually siphon it...
The 4th gen Camaros have a bypass circuit to run the pump so you don't have to drop the tank. Any tricks for a SN95?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you can disconnect the soft line under the hood and hook up a piece of vac line or something to go to a bucket to use the pump to take it out. You have to keep turning the key on/off or disconnect the power for the pump at the inertia switch in the back an put 12v on it.

Adfalenski

Reaction score
Before you install a new fuel filter, remove the old filter and slip a piece of hose on the outlet tube from the tank/to the fuel filter and drain it that way since you are installing a new filter anyway.

OP
OP
N

Notthenow

Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea, and the filter will be definitely be changed either way. Does the pump need to run continuously or does a siphon effect get started?

Adfalenski

Reaction score
I am not certain but if the gas cap is left off, it should siphon. Make sure the receiving container remains below the level of the bottom of the fuel tank. Try it first. If it doesn’t siphon, use the fuel pump but monitor the fuel level. When you hear the fuel pump sucking air, shut off the fuel pump. The fuel pump is cooled by the fuel flowing through it. You do not want it to overheat in a tank full of gasoline vapor. It could ruin your whole day.

OP
OP
N

Notthenow

Reaction score
Yep, been there done that with a 1996 Camaro three times. Finally cut a hatch to access the pump. It would overheat under 1/4 tank here in AZ.

TrickVert

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I figured the same. Seriously toccs, I gave up tasting gas since you could actually siphon it...
The 4th gen Camaros have a bypass circuit to run the pump so you don't have to drop the tank. Any tricks for a SN95?
On the 94/95, you can jumper a pin in the underhood diagnostic plug to ground to run the pump. Removing the Schrader valve in the fuel rail allows you to run tubing from there to a container to catch the old fuel.

OP
OP
N

Notthenow

Reaction score
Good to know for reference, unfortunately I have a 1998. I think the relay in the trunk is the play especially since my battery is out already.

tinnocker

Reaction score
Since you are probably trying to get ever drop out of your tank, this wouldn't work. Years ago I saw on youtube a fellow stuffing rags around his gas pipe after he had installed the siphon hose. He blowed several breaths of air , pressurizing the tank and then dropped the hose below the bottom leval and gas came out. Years later I needed about a gallon of gas to cut grass and this method worked. Doesn't get gas in your mouth.

OP
OP
N

Notthenow

Reaction score
Interesting, where did the hose go in as our pipes for filling the tank have a baffle to prevent siphoning?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
There is a small flap on the end of the filler pipe inside that I thought was just supposed to prevent gas from going out if it flipped.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010