Old gas?

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
i run a .025 gap on COP. im putting mine on stands in the next 2 weekends to fix a chaffed 02 wire. i honestly am not too happy yet with COP. i also could need new COPs. ive been worried more about getting the lightning running.

Yeah Jason that's more what I was expecting with the gap on these plugs, I can't believe my tuner had these things so tight. Unless he was having spark blowout any wider, that I don't know. I'll find out if this COP has any effect on high RPM's, I'm going to put new TR6's in this thing, I already have new fuel, and I have a dyno appointment for next Wednesday to see whats going on. Hoping it was just a combination of bad fuel and fouled plugs...but we'll see.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Going to gap these new plugs at .025 and see if I get any spark blow out. Dyno is set for next Wednesday. Got new fuel in this thing now too. Hoping that's all the issue was and we can get some clean pulls down

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Got the car on the dyno yesterday and could potentially have some major issues. AFR was spot on entire pulls, so I think my o2 sensor is bad which is why my wide band isn't reading correctly. Car was making 18psi and extremely low on power. Was about 150rwhp lower than it normally is, and each pull got lower and lower. Getting a good bit of smoke coming out of valve cover with cap removed and tons of blow by. Think I have a pinched piston ring and/or damaged piston. Going to do a leak down test first and see what results are. If it is something in the bottom end going to be down for the count for a while.

Witzy0070

Reaction score
That's shit. I feel for you. Keep us posted, good info always comes from threads like these.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Yeah it sucks, but if it is something bottom end related I may take my time with it and go a different route. Thinking trick flow head/turbo setup but we will see

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
That sucks Mike, I hope it isn't serious.

It's just ironic because I never drive the car lol. But I could tell it was down on power at WOT, I thought it was something to do with how rich my wideband was showing. But on dyno, his wideband was showing spot on at 11.2 entire pull. Had fuel, spark, making 18psi...so gotta start seeing if its internal issue

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe less power so you can enjoy it? I think a 500rwhp car is probably a lot less taxing on all the parts compared to what you are running.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Maybe less power so you can enjoy it? I think a 500rwhp car is probably a lot less taxing on all the parts compared to what you are running.

Made 3 pulls, after last pull car was barely making 400rwhp

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
No I mean if you do need to rebuild, maybe you dial it down a bunch. Your build is big time overkill for what you use it for (unless you are running for cash on the street). You might get more enjoyment out of it with a different setup that isn't pushing almost 700hp. I have seen a lot of builds like yours that are plagued with broken parts leaving the owners in constant build mode.

BUT a turbo build always gets my attention!

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
No I mean if you do need to rebuild, maybe you dial it down a bunch. Your build is big time overkill for what you use it for (unless you are running for cash on the street). You might get more enjoyment out of it with a different setup that isn't pushing almost 700hp. I have seen a lot of builds like yours that are plagued with broken parts leaving the owners in constant build mode.

BUT a turbo build always gets my attention!

Oh I see what you're saying. I agree I would definitely drive the car more and probably enjoy it more if it were dialed back...but that's not my style lol. Going to do leak down test hopefully in next week or two, I'll let you know results

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
dang that is disappointing to see all that prep not perform on the dyno.

Yeah it honestly doesn't make sense, I never drive the car. Could be just one of those freak things. I probably started to blow the head gasket on the street, which is when I felt the loss of power. And I'm sure the WOT pulls on the dyno just started making it worse. Hopefully can get some diag done soon on it

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
well at least yours didn't end like mine did. 9yrs ago in az as I was trying to make my escape to the midwest because of my health reasons and took it to get it tuned as it was needing it. we only did 2 bad runs and the temp was spiking bad and after the 3rd one the guy from across the shop stopped him to ask if he heard that?! It now had a knock.......

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
well at least yours didn't end like mine did. 9yrs ago in az as I was trying to make my escape to the midwest because of my health reasons and took it to get it tuned as it was needing it. we only did 2 bad runs and the temp was spiking bad and after the 3rd one the guy from across the shop stopped him to ask if he heard that?! It now had a knock.......

man thats brutal. This type of stuff is a bummer for sure, but I look at it as an opportunity to upgrade to newer/better parts

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Could be a few things compression test will help. Hopefully it's just rings

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Could be a few things compression test will help. Hopefully it's just rings

I think a leak down will tell me the most. I'm hoping it's a head gasket so I don't have to dig into the bottom end

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I have a buddy with a very similar situation. When he dyno'd his supercharged DOHC 5.4L F150, every aspect was spot on, but power wasnt like it should be. He would go home, scratch his head, replace fuel pump. Go back to dyno...same. Go home, replace, dyno, home replace, dyno. Even upgraded to a bigger crank pulley with same hp results....finally he tore down the engine with failed investigation. No clue what the culprit was. He suspected blown gaskets as well. Gaskets were perfect. Nothing on his end was the problem. The problem caught his eye and was totally unsuspecting. He corrected the problem and now the power is better than he figured at the first of it. The dyno graph keeps pulling to 5500rpm till the s/c belt breaks. Im supposed to be machining him out a 10rib setup when he decides he wants it.
Her is a pic of his truck

d98168159a84b82985268a1951921e35.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online